Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joseph17
Regular Visitor

Interactions between viz's - filtering based on two other visualizations does not work

I have problems with defining proper filtering in my report.

I have three visualizations: a map, a treemap and a table.

My dashboard is about the incidents, which can be clasified per city and category.

A bubble size in the first viz (the map) is related to the sum of incidents per city.

Once I select a city in a first viz (the map) I see a distribution of this sum per category in a treemap.

Everything's fine so far, but I would like to drill down by clicking on a category to see in the third viz (the table) all the incidents per this city and category. The problem is that the selection from the map is forgotten and when I click on the treemap's category, I get a list of incidents for a chosen category, but for all the cities in the US, instead of a chosen one.

Question is: how I could fix it so that my choice (filter) from the 1st and 2nd viz is remembered for the 3rd viz? 

I selected "city" from the map to be a page filter. I did the same for "category" in the 2nd one.

Interactions: map filters treemap, map filters table; treemap filters table, table filters nothing

Thanks!

Capture.JPG 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@joseph17

To answer your question.  The term "master" is kind of fitting.  When you select a slicer, the selection will not be cleared until you force it to clear.  When you select another visual, that selection is clear the moment you make another selection on any other visual.

Currently because of this limitation, if I know that a user will want to filter by a specific field, I normally provide a slicer on in addition to the visuals.  If there are a long list of items you can turn on the search function in the slicer.

Hopefully, we'll get the cross highlighting feature soon.  Let me know if this helps.

Kind regards,

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MikeHawryluk
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Joseph17...

The functionality you are looking for doesn't exist today but it is in the works.  You can follow the idea here: Link to Idea

In the meantime, the way to achieve dynamic cross highlighting on multiple fields is by adding slicers.  Slicers maintain their filter state when additional slicers or visuals are selected.  

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks Mike for the tip and the link.

Indeed, it is a very popular idea, however it looks like this hasn't been introduced in the December's release.

A slicer would be a nice workaround, especially if a map could filter such slicer.

For example - if I select a city on a map, this city is also selected in the slicer's drop down list.

However, despite the fact that the map "filters" the slicer in my report, when I select the city in the map, slicer's selection remain unchanged. So, does it mean that slicer is always a "master" for other visuals?

@joseph17

To answer your question.  The term "master" is kind of fitting.  When you select a slicer, the selection will not be cleared until you force it to clear.  When you select another visual, that selection is clear the moment you make another selection on any other visual.

Currently because of this limitation, if I know that a user will want to filter by a specific field, I normally provide a slicer on in addition to the visuals.  If there are a long list of items you can turn on the search function in the slicer.

Hopefully, we'll get the cross highlighting feature soon.  Let me know if this helps.

Kind regards,

Mike

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.