Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

varunaggarwal30
Frequent Visitor

Incremental Load from Azure Data Lake

Hi ,

I am new to PowerBI. I have a question. My organization has a requirement to load data in azure data lake and connect power bi with data lake. The input files I get needs to be clenaed and transformed.I am having hard time to understand the data flow. If all the cleansisng happens in powerBI then how will I be able to do incremental load? Files will be ingested every month , how do I create a structured data . Is there any middleware I need to use for ETL process or any other way of doing it better?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

You cannot do incremental load in PowerBI desktop currently, but it will come in the premium version.

If the transformation is heavy it could make sense to use an R script to export your results to a database or file and re-import them.

There's also a workaround in PowerBI, but watch out for the traps there: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/01/11/incremental-load-in-powerbi-using-dax-union/

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

In addition to the remark from Imke, you may should consider this:

Depending on the amount of data residing in ADL that you want to analyze with Power BI you should consider that the sheer amount will not fit into the data model if you import data.

Accessing data from data sources using DirectQuery may limit the "data munging" capabilities or prevent query folding.

For this reasons you should consider to address the data cleansing outside from Power BI, and instead create a data pipeline using Azure Data Factory maybe in combination with some U-SQL scripts. The goal of this datapipeline is to create a "file" that you can access from Power BI without any further need for M stuff.

Regards

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens@ImkeF

Dataset is not big. It can be easily imported to PowerBI. Only problem is how do I create a structured data table in PowerBI. If transformation is done on one file and upload in data model then next time refresh overide the exisiting data. I tried "http://exceleratorbi.com.au/combine-excel-workbooks-power-query-method-1/" but when giving data lake as source it gives an error of "An error occurred in the ‘’ query. DataFormat.Error: The supplied file path must be a valid absolute path.".

Looking for urget help

You must have made a mistake in defining the data-connection string for your data lake.

I'd suggest that you create a new query where you simple connect to your data lake and compare that with the function code you've created. If you cannot spot the difference, you can copy BOTH codes here & I will have a look.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@ImkeF

Thanks for your promt reply. I am comparing the two queries. I found some issues. Its working now .The question is how this method will automatically refresh data from power bi service. I believe some one has to manually select the files to send to parameters. Currently all data source for multiple pbix file under one folder in data lake. Do we need to have seperate folders to refresh the data automatically once the file ingest on month basis. 

Thanks,

Varun 

If the files are not large, you can import them all every month.

The method you've chosen will not support any incremental load.

varunaggarwal30
Frequent Visitor

Hi ,

I am new to PowerBI. I have a question. My organization has a requirement to load data in azure data lake and connect power bi with data lake. The input files I get needs to be clenaed and transformed? I am having hard time to understand the data flow. If all the cleansisng happens in powerBI then how will I be able to do incremental load? Every month file structure will be same if they et appended in data lake , it will be difficult to do clean up. Is there any middleware I need to use for ETL process or any other way of doing it better?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.