Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smpa01
Super User
Super User

Identifying Duplicates by not taking Case Sensitivity into consideration - Power BI/Power Query

Hi ,

Is there a way Power BI can identify entries in a column as duplicates by taking into consideration the case sensitivity of the entires. I have attached a screenshot of what I want Power BI to achieve.Capture.JPG

Thank you in advance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@smpa01 right, so you dont want it to take the case sensitivity into account you mean?

there are 2 ways of dealing with this

if you going to work it out in power query (m) then change all text to either upper or lower case

if you going to do it in dax (which ignores it)  just do a count unique = distinctcount(columnname) and place the value and the measure in your visual.  dax will ignore the different cases

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

If you want to do it "the Power Query way", just group on data and adjust the generated code as illustrated:

Group case insensitive.png

Note: the resulting values in the Data column will be just one of the upper/lower case data values from the source (the one that comes first). You may still want to change that to upper or lower as the next step.

Full syntax of Table.Group:

Table.Group(table as table, key as any, aggregatedColumns as list, optional groupKind as nullable number, optional comparer as function) as table

You don't need groupKind.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.