Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gareta
Frequent Visitor

How to model data to generate dynamic rates with selectable dimensions

I'm looking for ideas for how to model and measure event rates across an inventory which also changes daily. I've solved this in prototype but suspect there are more refined models that might make this more sensible.

We have a WorkerTable updated daily:

Date

WorkerName

Catagory

SubCatagory

1/1

Worker1

A

X

1/1

Worker2

A

Y

1/2

Worker1

A

X

1/2

Worker2

A

Y

1/2

Worker3

B

X

1/3

Worker2

A

Y

1/3

Worker3

B

X

We have a daily EventTable:

Date

Event

WorkerName

1/1

Injury

Worker1

1/3

Confusion

Worker2

1/3

Dissolution

Worker3

We want to be able to see the rate of events against all workers:

Date

Event

Occurrences

Workers

Rate

1/1

Injury

1/2

1/2

1/3

Confusion

1/2

1/3

Dissolution

1/2

Or by a certain selection of category:

Date

Event

Occurrences

SubCatagory = X

Rate

1/1

Injury

1/1

1/2

1/3

Dissolution

1/1

And finally to be able to group events of any type:

Date

Events

Workers

Rate

1/1

1/2

1/2

1/3

2/3

What is a good way to shape and model the data in powerbi to achieve this result?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gareta

Firstly, only when you have an entry for Date 1/2 in EventTable, you are able to get the following desired result.
1.PNG

Create the following measures in your EventTable, please note that there is no relationship between two tables.

Workers = COUNTROWS(FILTER(WorkerTable,WorkerTable[Date]=MAX(EventTable[Date])))
Occurrences2 = CALCULATE(COUNTA(EventTable[Event]),FILTER(EventTable,EventTable[Event]<>""))
Rate 2 = IF(ISBLANK([Occurrences2]/[Workers]),0,[Occurrences2]/[Workers])

Then create a table visual using fields and mesaures of EventTable as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

Secondly, if you don’t have record for  Date 1/2 in EventTable,  create the measures below, and you will get the following table visual.

Occurrences = COUNTA(EventTable[Event])
Workers = COUNTROWS(FILTER(WorkerTable,WorkerTable[Date]=MAX(EventTable[Date])))
Rate = [Occurrences]/[Workers]

2.PNG

Thirdly, could you please describe more details about how you get the numbers of workers for 1/2, 1/3 in your last screenshot? Based on my test, when we group events of any type of above table visual, we just need to exclude Event field from the table visual. But this way, I get different numbers of workers for 1/2, 1/3.
5.PNG4.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gareta

Firstly, only when you have an entry for Date 1/2 in EventTable, you are able to get the following desired result.
1.PNG

Create the following measures in your EventTable, please note that there is no relationship between two tables.

Occurrences2 = CALCULATE(COUNTA(EventTable[Event]),FILTER(EventTable,EventTable[Event]<>""))
Rate 2 = IF(ISBLANK([Occurrences2]/[Workers]),0,[Occurrences2]/[Workers])

Then create a table visual using fields and mesaures of EventTable as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

Secondly, if you don’t have record for  Date 1/2 in EventTable,  create the measures below, and you will get the following table visual.

Rate = [Occurrences]/[Workers]

2.PNG

Thirdly, could you please describe more details about how you get the numbers of workers for 1/2, 1/3 in your last screenshot? Based on my test, when we group events of any type of above table visual, we just need to exclude Event field from the table visual. But this way, I get different numbers of workers for 1/2, 1/3.
5.PNG4.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This all looks good and I will work on replicating it as you describe. Thank you!

(Regarding worker count on 1/2 and 1/3, your numbers are accurate, my sample results are incorrect.)

gareta
Frequent Visitor

This is all very helpful, thank you Lydia. @v-yuezhe-msft

One more question, I'm still unclear how to do this last bit. When I want to view issues that affected a subset of all Workers (eg, group by a certain selection of category):

Date

Event

Occurrences

Workers WHERE SubCatagory = X

Rate

1/1

Injury

1/1

1/2

1/3

Dissolution

1/1

Hi @gareta,

Firstly, create a new table using DAX below. And create relationship between NewTable and EventTable using WorkerName field.
NewTable = CALCULATETABLE(WorkerTable,WorkerTable[SubCatagory]="X")

Then create the following measures.
Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTA(NewTable[Date]),FILTER(NewTable,NewTable[Date]=Max(EventTable[Date])))
Rate = [Occurrences]/[Measure]

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors