Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BIdeveloper
Regular Visitor

How to copy a column as static

Hi,

I have this issue that I have columns coming from a data source. What I would like to do is to duplicate the column from another column and stop the old column overwriting the new one. So that this column would be a comparison column stored. What would be the easiest way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@BIdeveloper

The refresh is 'table' level in Power BI Desktop. If you duplicate the column, it will still exist in the same table. So once you click refresh, both of these two columns will be refreshed.

Another way is to duplicate the table in Query Editor, and right click the duplicated table and unselect 'include in report refresh' as below. Then close and apply Query Editor. 

How to copy a column as static_1.jpg

Manage relationship like below, and drag these three column into the table visual, so that you can compare the two columns.

How to copy a column as static_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@BIdeveloper

The refresh is 'table' level in Power BI Desktop. If you duplicate the column, it will still exist in the same table. So once you click refresh, both of these two columns will be refreshed.

Another way is to duplicate the table in Query Editor, and right click the duplicated table and unselect 'include in report refresh' as below. Then close and apply Query Editor. 

How to copy a column as static_1.jpg

Manage relationship like below, and drag these three column into the table visual, so that you can compare the two columns.

How to copy a column as static_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.