Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carlosDash
Advocate V
Advocate V

How to change SQL credentials? Clicking "Data source settings" gives an error.

Hi,

I need to change the credentials I'm currently using to access a SQL Server database data source, but I can't seem to find a way to do it. If I've understood correctly, it should be done via "Data source settings" button in the Query builder, but whenever I click the button, I get the following popup window: "Error Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Is any way to change credentials other than using "Data source settings"?

Thanks,

Edit: I have no idea what happened with the subject of this post. It's not what I wrote. Corrected subject on 21.4.2017.

3 REPLIES 3
SathyaG35
Frequent Visitor

Under Edit Queries you can find the option Data Source Settings. Change the credidentials for the datasource you have.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @carlosDash,

Is any way to change credentials other than using "Data source settings"?

As far as I know, using "Data source settings" is the only way to change credentials for data source currently.

What's the version your Power BI Desktop? Have you tried uninstalling it and installing the latest version to see if the error remains? Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

I'm running the latetest Power BI desktop solution (no idea how to check the version number). I haven't tried uninstalling or re-installing, but I had this problem with my previous computer as well. 

I just noticed that it most likely has to do with me creating a "Blank Query" and then copy pasting my data source settings from a text file. The data is retrieved just fine and my report works the way I want it to, but I just can't get the "Data source settings" to work. 

I think this is more of a bug than a feature. I might create a bug report about it. 

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.