Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KWilkinson02
Helper I
Helper I

How compare iterative sets of weekly data

Hi all,

I'm looking for some general pointers in relation to process rather than specifics of how-to.

I'm generating weekly reports which are saved as HTML and then loaded into Excel.

In PowerBI I'm able to clean up the file and display the data how I want in a series of charts.  So far so good.

However what I want to be able to do is load in additional data each week, these would be on separate tabs in the excel file, apply the same steps to cleanup the data and then add it to my existing charts.

I guess I need to know if this is possible and if so what the general appraoch should be - as I say I'm not looking for specifics I'm happy to hack my way around looking at other solutions to learn what I need.

Cheers

K.

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @KWilkinson02,

However what I want to be able to do is load in additional data each week, these would be on separate tabs in the excel file, apply the same steps to cleanup the data and then add it to my existing charts.

Is additional data you mentioned above stored in a different worksheet in excel? And now you hope each week, the new data can be loaded into Power BI desktop automatically via refreshing, right? If that is the case, I'm afraid this is not achievable now.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well that would be the ideal, but I don't mind doing some basic editing of the new data.

For instance;

1) Is there a way to update the linked data so that the new tabs in the workbook are loaded in?

2) Is there a way to apply the exact same steps to the new data that have been applied to the existing data?  A group edit if you like?

I know I can easily append the new data once it's prepped but it's that preparation that seems to be my main issue at present.

Cheers

K.

Rather than adding a new tab each time, could you not consolidate your tabs into one master sheet (and add some sort of indexing column if you need to differentiate which data came from which "tab") and refresh that?

The raw data doesn't lend itself well to being appended into one sheet, at least not with my current knowledge of PowerBI when it comes to cleaning it.

I'm guessing from the responses then there's no way to batch apply 'Apllied Steps' from one set of data to another?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.