Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can i hide Column/measure in a Table

Hi All,

Can we hide a column / measure in a Table .

Basically, I want to show only first 5 column on report , but when the user Export .csv , all the hidden column/measure should also be visible.

Thanks .

17 REPLIES 17
Stephcurry30
Regular Visitor

HI @Anonymous, you can hide a column in a table visual using the following steps:

1.Create your table visual.

2.In the visualizations pane, navigate to the 'Format' options.

Stephcurry30_0-1706858041497.png

3.Under 'Values' and 'Column Headers' uncheck 'Text Wrap.'

Stephcurry30_1-1706858275870.png

4.Then Resize the width of the column

Stephcurry30_2-1706858360374.png

Thanks & Regards
Manu<30>

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

the best option in my opinion is to put the column last. Then in the formatting, adjust specific column text color and background to white. You still get lines for that column but I did not find any cleaner option to achieve it.

rangerman

I know this post is old but since it doesn't look like an answer was provided, you can add whatever field you want to appear in the CSV export in the drill-through data of your visual. This data won't show on the visual but will appear on the export and of course the drill through pane. 

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Mridul,

According to your description, you need to hide columns on your report, and the hidden columns should visible after export the report to CSV file, right?

Based on my research, there is no a visibility option for the columns in current version of Power BI report. So I am afraid your requiremnet cannot be achieved currently.

If you have any concern on this feature, you can submit your idea on the link below. If this feature was mentioned by mulitple users, product team will consider to add this feature to next release.
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

Charlie Liao

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous In PBI desktop, you can first build all your visuals using required columns in your table. Then go to Data tab, select your table and column, right click & Hide in report view. This will make column disappear from the column list in report view, but all your visuals will stay as it is. When exporting to csv data will be there as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is that my column is composed by a measure. There is any other way to do that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ankitpatira : As per your solution i can hide from the Fields column on right but still see the hidden column on Report in Table Visualization, but i think the workaround is just by dragging the column on left side as smoupre has explained. 

Is there a way to export your Measure in csv /Excel ?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You can shrink the column down to the point that it is not visible but not truly hide it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Is there an idea that is slated to be published to fix this blatent gap? 

When I do this the height of the rows increases. How can I hide the column without this happening?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yamenmarquez I renamed the column to a dot "."   Then I turned Values->WordWrap to OFF. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can i do this ?

@Anonymous - In your table visualization, hover your mouse over your column heading that you want to "hide" and move it to the right until the mouse cursor changes to a <->, then left-click and drag to the left until it is completely hidden. 

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler Thanks for the workaround. Is there a way to export my measure calculation in CSV. 

All i am trying to do is to build some measures on the Hidden column , and export csv with the measure. 

@Anonymous - If you click the ellipses on the table visualization and click "Export to Excel" then it will export everything in the table, even the "hidden" columns. Is that what you are asking?

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler :  I can see the hidden column in my .csv Export data , I hide columns using <-> icon on Table.

BUT, i also used some DAX formulae in Hidden column, which i DID NOT see in .csv exported.

Also, i used all the columns on Tables , which is used in DAX formulae.

Secondly, I see "Export Data" Option on my Table Exclipse(...). I dont see the Option called "Export to Excel"

Export_Data.png

Yes, Export Data, sorry. I added a custom column and a custom measure with DAX calculations in them and I see both columns in my table when I check the data.csv file that is exported. 

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.