Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aar0n
Advocate II
Advocate II

Help with a Top value

Hi Guys, 

I am trying to create a "Hall of Fame" tab in my report. 

pretty much, i want the user to select one of many measures that describe my data, and then be able to select top 10% of values, top 25% of values, and top 50% of values.

a sample of my data is below:

NameDateValue
a1/1/201791
a1/2/201723
a1/3/201764
a1/4/201774
a1/5/201747
a1/6/201786
b1/1/201769
b1/2/201792
b1/3/201774
b1/4/201766
b1/5/201728
b1/6/201738
c1/1/201735
c1/2/201748
c1/3/201792
c1/4/201768
c1/5/201781
c1/6/201730

i am looking to make some measures/filters that would select:

top 10% of "names" with:
the highest max value, 
the highest cumulative value
the highest average value for the first 3 months.  

then the selection would plot the names on a graph. the above data is a quick representation of my data (where my data set has ~8Million rows)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi aar0n,

Create a new table Options like below:

捕获.PNG 

Then create a measure in the table using DAX:

Result =
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Options[Options] ) = "Top 10% Names By Average", [Top 10% Names By Average],
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Options[Options] ) = "Top 10% Names By Total", [Top 10% Names By Total],
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Options[Options] ) = "Top 10% Names By Max", [Top 10% Names By Max]
)

1.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi aar0n,

To achieve your requirement, you should create rankings by max value, total value and average value. Create three calculate columns using DAX below:

Rank By Max = RANKX(ALL(Table1), CALCULATE(MAX(Table1[Value]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Name])),,DESC,Dense)

Rank By Total = RANKX(ALL(Table1), CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Name])),,DESC,Dense)

Rank By Average = RANKX(ALL(Table1), CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Value]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Name])),,DESC,Dense)

Then to achieve the names which achieve the top 10% rankings above, create three measures using DAX below:

Top 10% Names By Max = 
VAR divide_ = ROUNDUP(MAX(Table1[Rank By Max]) * 0.1, 0)
VAR name_ = CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Table1[Name]), FILTER(ALL(Table1), Table1[Rank By Max] <=  divide_))
RETURN
CONCATENATEX(name_, Table1[Name], ",")

Top 10% Names By Total = 
VAR divide_ = ROUNDUP(MAX(Table1[Rank By Total]) * 0.1, 0)
VAR name_ = CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Table1[Name]), FILTER(ALL(Table1), Table1[Rank By Total] <=  divide_))
RETURN

Top 10% Names By Average = 
VAR divide_ = ROUNDUP(MAX(Table1[Rank By Average]) * 0.1, 0)
VAR name_ = CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Table1[Name]), FILTER(ALL(Table1), Table1[Rank By Average] <=  divide_))
RETURN

The result is like this:

捕获.PNG 

Hope it's helpful to you.

Jimmy Tao

hi @v-yuta-msft

thank you for your quick response. this reply is very helpful, but there are some changes i was hoping for, 

for example, 

instead of just displaying the measure in a data card, would it be possible to use the measure (or a different method) in some type of filter?

what i was hoping for was the ability to click "top 10% names by max" and then my other visuals in my report would filter to those names.

The reason i need this, is that Power bi only graphs a subset of my data (and i can't truly see the top percentile of data)

Hi aar0n,

Create a new table Options like below:

捕获.PNG 

Then create a measure in the table using DAX:

Result =
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Options[Options] ) = "Top 10% Names By Average", [Top 10% Names By Average],
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Options[Options] ) = "Top 10% Names By Total", [Top 10% Names By Total],
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Options[Options] ) = "Top 10% Names By Max", [Top 10% Names By Max]
)

1.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

hi @v-yuta-msft

this reply is so close, but not exactly what i am looking for.. 
in the end, i am hoping to have multiple visuals, and not just a data card.

in my example screenshot below, if i click on "Top 10% Names By Total", i need the graph visual to only show me the name "A"
if i click on "top 10% Names by Max", i need the graph visual to show b,c

in my small subset of test data, it may not be too difficult to filter from the data card value.. but my actual dataset has ~8 million rows, and ~5k names...

ExampleExample

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.