Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

heidibb
Helper IV
Helper IV

Help with IF Function

Hello,

I am trying to derrive a "due date" field depending on the value in my WEEK column. I am getting an error with this stating "DAX comparison operations do not support comparing values of type Text with values of type Integer. Consider using the VALUE or FORMAT funciton to convert on of the values."

I understand what the error is telling me, but I'm not sure how to modify my formula to accomodate. 

Thoughts?

Assessment Due Date = if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 1,DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],2,DAY),
							if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 2, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],9,DAY),
								if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 3, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],16,DAY),
									if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 4, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],23,DAY),
										if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 5, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],30,DAY),
											if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 6, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],37,DAY),
												if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 7, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],44,DAY),
													if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 8, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],51,DAY),
														if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 9, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],58,DAY),
															if(WeeklyAssessment[WEEK] = 10, dateadd(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],65,DAY),today()))))))))))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a look in the Modelling section of your Ribbon after you have selected your column "WEEK".  Check that this column is set to being a Whole Number.  The error is indicating that the field is set to TEXT.  If you need it to be set to text, simply change your comparisions in your DAX statement to be ="1".

As a side note, a Switch statement would work better for your expression.  Here is how it would look:

Assessment Due Date = SWITCH(
	WeeklyAssessment[WEEK],
	1, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],2,DAY),
	2, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],9,DAY),
	3, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],16,DAY),
	4, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],23,DAY),
	5, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],30,DAY),
	6, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],37,DAY),
	7, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],44,DAY),
	8, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],51,DAY),
	9, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],58,DAY),
	10, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],65,DAY),
	TODAY()
)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a look in the Modelling section of your Ribbon after you have selected your column "WEEK".  Check that this column is set to being a Whole Number.  The error is indicating that the field is set to TEXT.  If you need it to be set to text, simply change your comparisions in your DAX statement to be ="1".

As a side note, a Switch statement would work better for your expression.  Here is how it would look:

Assessment Due Date = SWITCH(
	WeeklyAssessment[WEEK],
	1, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],2,DAY),
	2, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],9,DAY),
	3, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],16,DAY),
	4, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],23,DAY),
	5, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],30,DAY),
	6, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],37,DAY),
	7, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],44,DAY),
	8, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],51,DAY),
	9, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],58,DAY),
	10, DATEADD(WeeklyAssessment[SectionStartDate],65,DAY),
	TODAY()
)

Thank you!

I did change the data type to whole number and my error went away making it look like the formula worked, but for some reason I was getting no value in my result set. I realized it doesn't like the DATEADD section as I did a test replacing that with a zero and I did get the result of zero.

So, I changed the DATEADD portion to just SectionStartDate+2 and that worked. So strange why dateadd did not work.

Thank you for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors