Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Damianmcbeath

Help: Error; missing intermediate data.... I'm sure there IN but can't link relationship

I'm trying to merge two data sets.... by connecting NAME:

Two sets of data (one for June, one for October - data has same name, I've included an index column etc...) when I try to create a relationship an error message appears.

PLEASE HELP someone?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Pat. You might want to look at the CALENDARAUTO() calculated table function as well. This creates a new table with all the unique dates from across your model.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

in order to create a relationship between two tables, they need to have a common column and the data in one of the those columns has to be unique.

Also, if you are trying to work with two datasets that look the same but only differ by month, you may want to consider using Append feature of Power Query so you only have one table to work with.

Hello,

Would you mind expanding on unique?  I am trying to add a date relationship between week ending date of weeks paid, week ending dates of interviews.  They are all dates from 2013 to present and they are all saturdays... one table has revenue and profit data while the other has instances of interview occurrances.  

Can you expand on the need for unique?

Pat

Hi Pat. You might want to look at the CALENDARAUTO() calculated table function as well. This creates a new table with all the unique dates from across your model.

It would be helpful to have an exact description of your data. (The columns of each dataset with some sample data and what you want the final result to look like).

Absent that, it sounds like you have 2 sets of data (revenue/profit vs. interview occurence) and both sets of data have a date.

If that is the case, the best thing to do is add a 3rd table (a date table), which can be as simple as a column of dates with no gaps. You can then join both sets of data to this 3rd table and slice/filter using the 3rd table (called a lookup or dimension table).

In terms of uniqueness...if you're getting that error, it's because the field you are trying to join on has duplicate values on both sides of the relationship. Sometimes that can be subtle (i.e. among tens of thousands of rows...all it takes is one duplicate value in the column to cause this error). 

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.
PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Can you provide the error message your receiving ?

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.