Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SheldonEdwards
Frequent Visitor

Has the 'Snap Objects to Grid' dimensions changed in October 2017 release?

Just installed 2nd October release, 2.51.4885.701 64-bit (October 2017)

'Snap Objects to Grid' alignment seems to have changed i.e. If I open a report (which has Snap Objects to Grid enabled) made pre-October 2017, and move or resize a visualisation, the visualisation cannot be snapped back to the same size/location... it seems to be snapping to a different sized grid.

Is this an intentional change?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SheldonEdwards, I know this is a really old post, but I know that depending on the resolution of the screen I'm working on the snap distance will change.

For example, developing a report on my lapotp vs. having my laptop connected to a monitor will yield very different snap 'intervals'.

@AnonymousOk, thanks

Yea, the issue seemed to 'fix' itself, and I havent seen it again since then.

I do used a laptop and sometimes switch between built in/desktop monitors, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Thanks fo rthe feedback

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@SheldonEdwards

I haven't reproduced your issue. 

I created a report in 2.51.4885.581, then open it in 2.51.4885.701. The visuals can be moved or resized whatever I want. 

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft

I think both of those versions you mentioned were October, and I said pre-October.

This is the issue I am having:

Alignment-Good.PNG

Open report created in pre-October version of Desktop app... as can be seen "Snap Object to Grid" is enabled (The visualisations in the original report were definately arranged with "Snap Object to Grid" on) and Line & Clustered Column Chart (Centre) align perfectly with adjacent Scatter Chart (Right) and Cards (Left).

Alignment-Bad1.PNG

Now when I use my keyboard right arrow to nudge the Line & Clustered Column Chart one space over to the right, the height of the Line & Clustered Column Chart changes.

Alignment-Bad2.PNG

If I now nudge it one space back left using ketboard (so it should return to its originl position), you can see it no longer aligns properly with Cards on the left (overlaps).

If I use mouse to try resize it, I cannot get it back to its original position.

If this is not an October 2017 release issue, what could it be??

Thanks

I have the same issue. Microsoft visuals as well as custom visuals snap to a different grid than before. Do more people have the same problem? Is it a bug or a deliberate change? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.