Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

HOLIDAY HELP for MY "X" (axis) - Looking for a solution to improve UX

In the graphic below, you'll see I have a gap in months between April and September.  I understand the technical reason for the gap, that is to say there is no reportable data during these "missing" months. 

From a user experience standpoint, it could appear at first to be consecutive, sequential months and therefore misinterpreted.

(This visualization is a simple dataset joined with a date table.)  Imagine that the graphic is "Units Sold" by Month" to carry the conversation.

Is there a way to condition the x axis to represent the missing months, display them with a "0", so that it could avoid the misinterpretation of the data viz?

Capture.PNG

Thanks, looking forward to hearing some creative solutions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

click drop arrow next to field x axis and select "show data with no value" i guess that will do it. it will not show zero but it will put month in there.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
parry2k
Super User
Super User

click drop arrow next to field x axis and select "show data with no value" i guess that will do it. it will not show zero but it will put month in there.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k

This would be awesome!  One to keep in mind for sure.  It doesn't just show the missing months, it shows all of the dates from my date table.  See below.

Capture.PNG

Any other thoughts?

intersting, do you see date hierarchary? May be you need to drill up to month if you want to see at month level.

@parry2k

So here's what I did.  Taking your suggestion I used the date hierarchy on my axis along with "Show Items" with no data.  Within the Shared Axis I then used the "Date" column from my source data to get the daily.

Capture.PNG

One question though, as we move from 2016 into 2017, isn't this going to aggregate results in the Month.  So for instance, March will include both years?  I would prefer to have March-2016 and March-2017 on the same axis.

Thanks again - getting closer.

well that is different thing to resolve, it will surely aggregate. There are many way to achieve this.

For now, you can drop year and month on x axis and drill down to month hierarchary using inline hierarchary, it will give you both year and month on x axis and will take care of this problem

@parry2k

I am not sure if you are suggesting a solution or not in your last replay.

As I see it, two options, neither ideal.

1. Using the date hierarchy, sure I can navigate down Year, Qtr, Month and Day - but it will have diminishing returns .  For instance when I drill down to day, it'll show aggregated performance on Day 1 for all months.
  2. Or, I can use my date table where I have the proper representation - but when "showing items with no data" it expands it to all dates in my date table.  (Ugh).

Am I missing something from your last reply?

Appreciate all the help.

yes you are, you know there are two drill down options, choose this one:

drill.PNG

@parry2k

Sorry, don't mean to be hard deaded, but the range of my date table is too expansive and it is a balance between show items with no data or not.

I think your suggestion is you use my date table, show the items with no data and use the "fork" to navigate the hierarchy.

Hi @irnm8dn,

Do you have all the Year-Month? If so, you can try to change the type of X-axis.HOLIDAY HELP MY X (axis) - Looking for a solution to improve UX.png

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

well leave that upto you. good luck

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.