Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jrb99
Frequent Visitor

HELP: Data screen not showing queried data correctly.

I am having an issue with the way data is being displayed in the data tab compared to what I see in the Query Editor after transforming data.  I will mention that I am using basic Excel spreadsheet data (not in Table format).

I have two examples that follow:

After transforming the data in Query Editor the data appears as so:Query Editor Showing Correct Values.jpg

However, when I close and apply...the data displays incorrectly.  I am still able to pull data into visualizations correctly.  It appears the data is only mis-represnted in the data window.  As you can see below there are no $5000 amounts in the 3rd and 4th columns.

Data Showing wrong values.jpg

Another example:

After transforming the data in Query editor I recieve this view:

Query Editor Showing Corect Import.jpg

The data is displayed correctly above...starting in the first row.  However, when viewing in the data window, there is now data in the first row.

Data Showing no values at top.jpg

Upon scrolling 240ish rows down in the data window, I can find the data...but, it is in an odd fomat from what I transformed it to in the Query editor.  As before though, the data itself is working fine when applied to visualizations.

Data Showing values withrando column order 240 rows down.jpg

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Best,

Jon

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jrb99,

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@jrb99

Hi Jon,

It may be the cache that lead the wrong display of the example one. We can clear the cache as the picture showed. After this, we could refresh data.

It's a good practice to format range to table in excel file. A table has clear border of rows and columns. Reference: powerbi-learning-5-2-upload-excel and powerbi-service-excel-workbook-files

Data screen not showing queried data correctly.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Unfortunately that did not fix the first issue.

I think it has to do with the file I am importing, because I haven't had the issue before (though I always try to import tabled data).  I am importing a file that is protected and from a third party source.  Therefore, I can not alter the file to create the tables I would like in the data source.  The best I can do is copy and paste the data into a seperate excel file of my own, which would reduce the automation.

Best,

Jon

Hi @jrb99,

Maybe the cause is the source workbook. As we can see from the pictures in your first post, the date of the first 5000 is September 1 2025 while there is only March 01 2025 in the second picture. Maybe it isn't in the picture.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors