Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrila
Frequent Visitor

Grouping based on logical expressions on past events

Hi.

I have a problem that on the surface seems really simple, but I can't wrap my head around how to do this with M (I am completely new to Power BI and Query Languages in general). I have a table of time stamped system events, logged towards a specific System ID for each event. Something like this (a lot more columns, but only these of interest):

Date | System ID | Event Type

From this, I want to create a metric I term "Active Users" which is a count of all unique System IDs that satisfy the following rule: "having at least 1 event registered in the last 7 days and at least 1 event registered more than 14 days ago". Simple enough if it was just a matter of checking for now(), but i want to display it as a time series graph (line) for the 2+ years I have events from, meaning I need the active count grouped for every day that I have events from.

Example:

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 8.56.37 AM.png

Note; the event type is simply there because I need to filter out irrelevant ones before I attempt to calculate the "active user"

Regardless how I try to iterate over each row, I don't seem to find a function that allows me to do the necessary logical check before grouping, thereby losing info in the process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrila,

You can create a calculated column below: 

Rankrow = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table1'),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[System ID]=EARLIER(Table1[System ID])&&'Table1'[Date]<EARLIER(Table1[Date])&& DATEDIFF('Table1'[Date],EARLIER(Table1[Date]),DAY)>7))

Then create a measure: 

count = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Rankrow]<>BLANK()))

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@chrila wrote:

Simple enough if it was just a matter of checking for now(), but i want to display it as a time series graph (line) for the 2+ years I have events from,

I don't see the difference between NOW() and a silcer based application fo the time.  If you can do it simply with NOW(), you shoudl be able to do it simply with a slicer.  Instead of hard coding NOW(), you just replace the NOW() portion of the formula with a measure that will "Harvest" the last selected date from a slicer (or row or column etc).  So if you have a slicer on the date column and somone clicks on 1/1/2017, then LASTDATE(Calendar[Date]) = 1/1/2017 and you can use that in your formula instead of NOW.  eg (in part)

FILTER(ALL(Calendar),some formula <=LASTDATE(Calendar[Date]))

The calc column solution posted above looks good to me.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrila,

You can create a calculated column below: 

Rankrow = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table1'),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[System ID]=EARLIER(Table1[System ID])&&'Table1'[Date]<EARLIER(Table1[Date])&& DATEDIFF('Table1'[Date],EARLIER(Table1[Date]),DAY)>7))

Then create a measure: 

count = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Rankrow]<>BLANK()))

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That did it! Thanks a lot 🙂

chrila
Frequent Visitor

One additional note; this table has millions of rows, so complicated join functions (O(n^n-1)) completely kills the machine I'm on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.