Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cowork16
Frequent Visitor

Google Analytics Help, Please!

I posted this yesterday and got no replies. I've been trying to figure this out for days and desparately need help.

I'm trying to figure out why there are such large discrepancies in data between Google Analytics and Power BI. I know sampling can be an issue but that be the cause of such large differences? Here's part of a table from GA and the same data in PBI. Some values are close (e.g. facebook/remarketing) but others are completely off. Any ideas? I have a deadline to meet that won't be possible if I can't figure this out Smiley Sad TIA!

GA.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@cowork16

I use the Google Content Pack as well and have determined my difference to come from refresh times. To get a better match, I have attempted to match the refresh times within the scheduler. Unfortunately, 6:00 am means different things when leaving the refresh automated.

If you differences are failing outside of "fresh" data, I would offer that it may be the built in filters within the content pack that we may or may not notice. I am not a fan of the content pack.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for the response! 🙂 I think I'm using the connector, rather than the content pack. Do you think the filter issue would still apply?

Hi @cowork16,

I agree with CahabaData. In addition, as mentioned this article, the Google Analytics connector relies on a third-party service. As such, features and availability may vary over time and no guarantee for the results of your queries when using this connector. So I would suggest you to try the content pack to see if it works in this scenario.Smiley Happy

Regards

Thank you for the replies @CahabaData and @v-ljerr-msft 🙂 I need data from 2013 forward, and the content pack only seems to go back 6 months, so that didn't work for me, unfortunately. Using the PQGoogleAnalytics third party connector (suggested to me in another post), I got the same, incorrect numbers, but when I queried directly in the Query Editor, I got the correct numbers. So it seems like something is going wrong when I try to put the dimensions/metrics in a report, but I'm not sure what it is.

Were you able to refresh the token in PowerQuery?
I can not... !

I have not yet had a project involving GA - but looking at the data - common sense would say that the New User count would always be less than the Session Count because there will always be some repeat users.  This is true on the left with GA but not true on the right with PBI.  So it appears that the definition of what should be counted/categorized is not correct.

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.