Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway on premise time out query

Hi everyone,

I'm working with a model built in SSAS Multidimensional and with a live connection from Power BI.

I am using on premise gateway to connect the model on the web.

I discover that if I send a query from the web, once I leave the page that I'm using to send the query (or close the browser), the SSAS is still working until it finalize the query. I want to avoid this problem so I want to know if is possible one of this two options:

- To "say" to the gateway that if I leave the page so it has to send a stop-query command to the SSAS;

- To give at the gateway a time-out query. If it is waiting for more than ### seconds, then it stops the query.

I hope I explain good my problem.

In excel, for example, when I close the program, the SSAS stops the query.

PS: I don't want to use the time-out query of the SSAS because I am forced to set it for all my server and there are others Databases in there that I want to use for longer queries

Thank you all.

Bests.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I didn't find any option that allows users to specify a timeout value for gateway.

Based on my research, to configure time-out query, we can add [timeout=#duration(0,0,30,0)])) in Power Query. Please refer to below links:

Query Timeout on update

Timeout when querying Analysis Services

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you get data from SSAS which had been connected to on premise data gateway on Power BI service? And what you want to achieve is to interrupt the query between Power BI service and SSAS server once you leave the service web page, right?

Per my knowledge, this is not available now. As Power BI service is online source, and on premise gateway is running, the sent query won't be affected by whether the web page is opend or closed. As you said, the query will work until it load all data and finalize the query.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Thnak you very much for your answer.

For the second option? The time-out query by using the gateway? If the query is still running after ### seconds then the gateway stops the query.

Do you know if it is possible?

Thank you again.

Hi @Anonymous,

I didn't find any option that allows users to specify a timeout value for gateway.

Based on my research, to configure time-out query, we can add [timeout=#duration(0,0,30,0)])) in Power Query. Please refer to below links:

Query Timeout on update

Timeout when querying Analysis Services

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.