Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

majdkaid22
Helper V
Helper V

GROUP BY in power query still loading all rows to Desktop

Hi guys,

I did a GROUP by transformation for a table in power query, where I had around 4m rows. when loading to Power BI Desktop, I can see in the loading box is evaluating and then loading the 4M rows. 

I did this exercise to decrease the loading time, but it doesn't seem it improved (except the size of the dataset has decreased) 

Am I doing something wrong, or this is how it supposed to work? 

Note: I can do the group by sql statement, but I prefer to have it as a step in power query, in case I wanna go back and check a previous step of the data model, it would be quicker to do in power query than sql 

any help would be apprecaited,

Majd

2 REPLIES 2
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Only in case of Query Folding / Direct Query records are selected at the source database.

Otherwise, all data is imported before any records are selected or grouped in Power Query.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

@MarcelBeug thanks for your feedback. It's just the fact that when loarding the model from the query editor to PBI desktop, the data is still loading all row, and once done loading, it will show me just the grouped by/aggregated table. 

This has helped by reducing the dataset file size, but loading the data from power query to front end PBI desktop is still the same. 

It would be nice and very useful if Group By in Power query can work as the group by statement from the source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.