Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forecast with irregular dates

I have some stock market data for a number of companies. I'm trying to demonstrate a simple forecast function using said data, but Power BI is giving me an error message that reads "Data is too irregular to Forecast". 

When I go to more information I get:

"Your data isn't evenly spaced

Forecast can't be created because the timeline isn't evenly spaced. The dates or numbers in a valid timeline must have a consistent gap between consecutive points." 

Any ideas on how I might fix this? I have several years worth of data and line chart itself looks just fine. As with most stock market data there is going to be major ups and downs, but in this particular dataset there is still a general upward trend. I've tried to create a second column for an index (thinking it could be some issues with the dates not including holidays and weekends), but that hasn't turned up a valid solution. 

Any help / thoughts would be great. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Firstly, create a date table that contains all possible and continuous dates, then create relationship between the date table and your original table.

Secondly, merge the date table and your original table based on the date field into a new query.

Thirdly, create line chart using date key of merged table as X-Axis of Line chart, then you will be able to add forecast line. For more details about solving the above error, please review the following blog.

http://www.erikhudzik.com/2017/01/16/power-bi-forecasting-feature-and-when-your-data-is-too-irregular-to-forecast/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Firstly, create a date table that contains all possible and continuous dates, then create relationship between the date table and your original table.

Secondly, merge the date table and your original table based on the date field into a new query.

Thirdly, create line chart using date key of merged table as X-Axis of Line chart, then you will be able to add forecast line. For more details about solving the above error, please review the following blog.

http://www.erikhudzik.com/2017/01/16/power-bi-forecasting-feature-and-when-your-data-is-too-irregular-to-forecast/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia, Can you show me where to merge the date table and original table based on the date field into a new query?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thanks for the detailed information and the URL for the example. It looks like that will meet my needs pretty well. 

Thanks again!

Jonathan 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.