Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mback
Frequent Visitor

Font color changing after publish

I started having an issue about a week ago with font colors changing after being published from desktop to PowerBI.  I have a report that has three cards with single datapoints displayed.  All three in desktop are set in Data Label as black.  When I publish the report to PowerBI, it changes the first and third Data Label colors to pink, but leaves the second as black.  Has anyone experienced this before or figured out how to prevent this from happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mback
Frequent Visitor

Looks like I found a way to fix it.  In Options, I enabled Custom report themes from Preview Features.  After restarting PowerBI Desktop, I got a new button for Switch Themes.  From that button, I was able to select Default Theme.  Clicking this seems to have fixed the problem. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem were colors are manually set in Desktop to be the same for three different bar graphs.  When published, two keeps the color settings but the third is random.   very confusing for users.

Changed color theme with no change on result.

Will be nice if we can get this fixed.

Hello, I just had the same problem

My font color for every visual I had on the same page changed to black, as you can see below:

bagas_yoga_1_1-1662626941922.png

The view from the Power BI desktop:

bagas_yoga_1_2-1662626977168.png

I have re-publish several times and tried to delete/upload a new file, but the problem persists. Even re-naming my file into a completely different one and then uploading it did nothing.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated!

Update, after resetting the visual to default and then redoing all the formatting, the data labels for each line did not change at all!

The only thing that changed is bold/normal and the color stays the same gray/black (default), which is really weird.

bagas_yoga_1_0-1662630220937.png

harin

I do see similar issue when I publish the report. I have pie chart and clustered bar chart with multiple values, I manually edited the color in clustered bar chart to sync with pie chart. Once I deploy this report these changes are gone.  Is there any work around for this issue?

Updating and re-loading the custom theme/JSON file seemed to help my issues with the color changing.  You can specify the colors to use in charts in the JSON file, which should add some consistency to your chart colors.  

winterb1
Regular Visitor

Am having the same issue with fonts on cards changing colors going from black to white so no value displaying.  Impacting several reports and 50+ users.  First issue was reported from our user community 4/23 and happened again today 5/14.  Very frustrating. 

I also had some fonts change color in text boxes and other visuals.  Re-selecting the font color in each title, text box, visual, etc then saving and re-publishing fixed the issue in some cases.  It was a pain, but it worked in several cases for me.

DougM
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi

I am experiencing the same issue on multiple reports, but am hesitant to play with, or remove, the themes file unless there is a way to resolve this issue in the custom theme file

Thanks Doug

We have experienced this issue as well.  We use the KPI visual quite a bit in our various reports.  The indicator is in the color I manually selected but the target/goal number appears to be reverting to a color in my custom theme.  It was previously black and now it is the same light turquoise I have in my theme.  This color was intended for graphs, not text, so it is not ideal for readability.

This change first occurred in web service two updates ago.  With this last update in May, it now affects the color of the goal in desktop as well.

SOLUTION - That said, I was able to update the goal color by changing the "foreground" color in my custom them/JSON file.  I was concerned that this could affect the other visuals I have in place, but thankfully it did appear to only update the KPI's.

leslieangelia
Frequent Visitor

We are also having this issue - affecting hundreds of client reports so we are scrambling to change them in the service. Republishing does not fix the issue. Cards with black text were changed to have a very pale green text. Oddly this does not affect all cards, but it is consistant from report to report which cards are affected. 

Curious that mine shows as a pink font and yours as a green font.  I also noticed that if I add a new table card by default it sets the font color to pink.  It seems to have defined that color as the default for the workspace.  I noticed that the color associated to the workspace in PowerBI is also pink.  Does your font color happen to correlate to your workspace color?

Strange. So we actually have two different custom color schemes, which might explain why my new default in the service is showing up as a different color than yours. If I click on a card and select "Revert to default" then it changes the color to light green. Which is not even one of our theme colors, but you can see the light green being used in the leftmost box of recent colors. 

2018-04-26_1224

When I select revert to default in the desktop app, it reverts to black and I don't even see that light green as a recent color. 

I'm also getting it on the Goal and Distance fonts for KPI cards.  Is there any way of specifically changing the font for that?

As far as I know, there is not a way to change the font color of Goal/Distance in the KPI visual. This won't help your KPI but I did find that if you replace the default black with manually selecting black and then republish, the color sticks. 

Both of these looked black in the desktop app, the top one was manually changed to black instead of leaving it as default black:

2018-04-26_1320

Unfortunately not the case with my reports.  I have the cards set to specifically be black, but whenever I republish they 2 of the 3 card visuals change from black to pink and the Goal/Distance in the KPI cards become pink.

mback
Frequent Visitor

Looks like I found a way to fix it.  In Options, I enabled Custom report themes from Preview Features.  After restarting PowerBI Desktop, I got a new button for Switch Themes.  From that button, I was able to select Default Theme.  Clicking this seems to have fixed the problem. 

Hi @mback

It is seems that you have solved your problem. Only thing that you'll have to notice, just always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
danextian
Super User
Super User

Have you tried a different browser?

I have a similar scenario but mine's probably worse. My single row cards are not showing any data at all - no error, whatsoever - in the service. They're just there. I can click them but they're just plain white. This is while showing Chrome on my machine. Shows find on Firefox and IE. I don't think that it is Chrome in general as other users in my company can view the report in Chrome just fine. Showed fine until the other day though.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

Yes.  Shows up the same in IE, Edge, and Chrome.

There could be a recent update in the service causing the issue for random users. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.