Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jfenico
Helper III
Helper III

Filtering out multiple data from columns when using a slicer

Slicers are a great way to let our users find specific info for there projects. However, the dashboard we have includes all information from all projects until they actively select one from the slicer. While they can get to the information they need, the initial shock of hodgepodged information is quite ugly.

I saw that you can add a measurement using the slicer and filter by column when a slicer is checked (as seen here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Empty-table-with-a-slicer/td-p/40021), however the way our dashboard is, we have more than one table we need to filter. Our information is broken up into a nice page where tables are neatly spread across with single points of data about their project. I would have to create a measurement for each column and there are about 10-12 columns.

Is there a way to tell the report that if nothing is select from the slicer, show up as blank across all tables?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jfenico,

There isn't an easy way to do it by now. Please submit or vote an idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jfenico,

There isn't an easy way to do it by now. Please submit or vote an idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-jiascu-msft

I figured as much but wanted someone more experienced to weigh in. I've gone ahead and submitted the idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can try this:

measure =
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( table[slicer column] ),
    [measure you want to display],
    BLANK ()
)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick response. Little confused (or uninitiated), what should I be popping into the [measure you want to display] section? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe there's a way yet to simply hide a table based on too much being selected.

The measure I gave you would go on your table visual IN PLACE OF the pre-existing measure.  Let's say you have an example measure called [Sales].  Your new measure would reference [Sales] where I wrote 

[measure you want to display]

That way the measure will show a blank until the slicer has a selected value, and then your measure will calculate [Sales] as normal

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.