Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ruecj5
Advocate I
Advocate I

Filtering individual matrix columns by thier own slicers?

Hi all,

I have data that is trended over 4 waves and I would like to build a matrix that allows for 2 of the 4 waves to be selected in order to compare the differences between them.  My original 'All Wave' table looks like this:

AllWaveTable.JPG

I would like to use 2 slicers to select 2 of the 4 waves to be compared, but I am having trouble using 2 slicers on 1 matrix because as soon as I filter the two slicers by different Wave values, it blanks my matrix.

I am able to use the SWITCH function to use a slicer to control for which wave of data is shown in a column, but I can only make it work with 1 slicer at a time.  Here is what it looks like, 2 matrices: 1 matrix showing Wave 1 data based on Slicer[Period 1], 1 matrix showing Wave 2 data based on Slicer[Period 2]

SepTables.JPG

I need the ability to control for the waves using 2 slicers in one matrix so that I can use calculated columns, but this is where I am stuck.  Does anyone know how to make this work?

I am happy to share more information if it is needed, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ruecj5
Advocate I
Advocate I

I was able to use information in this thread to get the results I was looking for by assign a numerical value to each wave and using MIN/MAX functions to control for which waves were showing in each column.

It was not a direct application taking what they had in that thread and applying it to my issue, but I do have it working now as I need it with just some small adjustments to meet my needs.

if anyone comes upon this thread for their own needs, I would be happy to share further what was done to make it work, but starting with the linked thread above is the best option I found after hours of searching.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ruecj5
Advocate I
Advocate I

I was able to use information in this thread to get the results I was looking for by assign a numerical value to each wave and using MIN/MAX functions to control for which waves were showing in each column.

It was not a direct application taking what they had in that thread and applying it to my issue, but I do have it working now as I need it with just some small adjustments to meet my needs.

if anyone comes upon this thread for their own needs, I would be happy to share further what was done to make it work, but starting with the linked thread above is the best option I found after hours of searching.

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@ruecj5

In Power BI Desktop, it's "AND" logic between slicers. And it's not supported to apply different nested filter on each column group. For example, you can't filter Period1 and Period2 in your matrix and apply Wave1 on Period1 and Wave2 on Period2. You requirement is not possible to achieve. You have to create individual matrix for each column group as you have done.

Regards, 

@v-sihou-msft

Ok got it thanks for the response, I was figuring that would be the case.

Do you know if there is a way to create a third matrix that can calculate based off of the data in the first two matrices?

For example, a third matrix that displays the difference in %s for Questions 1, 2, and 3 based on the values in the first two matrices?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.