Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Topaz

Filter table based on password

Hello

I have a table that contains a list of researchers, their ID's and details of budjet and expenses.

I want to use the table using the Power BI Reporting services on permises so all the reasercher will be able to see the table

The problem is that I want that every researcher will be able to see only his private data so the table will be filltered by the ID

Is there a way to make that when someone goes to the report in the reporting services he'll need to put his ID an password and then that the table will be filltered accordingly?

Thanks In Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Topaz,

I think dynamic RLS based on username will be suitable for your requirement, perhaps you can take a look at below link:

Power BI – Dynamic Row Level Security – Tips to get it working!

RLS with UserName()  

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Topaz,

I think dynamic RLS based on username will be suitable for your requirement, perhaps you can take a look at below link:

Power BI – Dynamic Row Level Security – Tips to get it working!

RLS with UserName()  

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
sokg
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hello @Topaz

I think you must use the USERNAME function

Here is the documentation

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh230954.aspx

Also read this article from Adam

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

Topaz

Hello

I have a table with a list of researchers names, ID's and for each researcher has it own budjet and expenses.

I want to make the table to be used in Power BI Report Server on peremises so all the reasercher can see the table.

The problem is that I want that each researcher will be able to see only his data so the table will be filtered accordingly

Is there a way to make that when each person opens the report in the reporting services he will have to enter an ID number and a password and then that the table will be filtered according to his ID number?

Thanks In advance

In general, the answer would be Row Level Security but that doesn't exactly work as you describe it. You would have to have something in your data that you could filter on to create a group for each user and then assign the users to the correct group.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.