Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kinseld5
Helper II
Helper II

Filled Map not showing all Irish Counties

Hi,

Unfortunately when using the Filled Maps visualization i often find counties in Ireland not showing, or partially showing (i assume similar might be seen for American states?). The data i am using toindicate the counties is not changing but the information on the displayed map changes regularly when i open power bi which i dont understand. In the image below some sections of Dublin are missing and all of county Limerick

any ideas?

Map.png

thanks,

dave

9 REPLIES 9
oduilln
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue, with the counties Clare, Roscommon and Wexford.

Clearly this issue is caused by the fact that there are existing counties in Michigan, USA with the same names. There needs to be a way to set the country to Ireland

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kinseld5,

Does this issue only happen to Dublin and Limerick, or it also happens to other counties in your scenario?

Could you share a sample pbix file which can reproduce this, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading. Smiley Happy

Regards

hi

please see link below to the excel file, the .pbix is simply just a file with a filled map in it. Note that when i tried to open the file this morning it worked fine without issue, its very odd that somethings the issue is present and other times its fine.

when i initially built the excel file and added to a filled map i have the same problem, but it was Clare and Limerick that werent showing up. then i added 'County' in front of each field and it worked, but thinking back i dont think putting 'County' in front of them actually solved the problem, its more an intermittent issue. So far have seen Limerick, Clare and Sligo not being populated, and when Dublin is not highlighted it is never all of dublin, its only partially missing, i.e. the middle bit is there but top and bottom sections are blank.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwQtIYqCEeRPYnJRcDdMN3dSSW8

@kinseld5 I'm no expert on any of the map visualizations but I downloaded your data to try to recreate the issue.  I seem to be able to repeat it.  So I then linked to a table of counties in the state of Michigan in the US.  I see a similar situation there also.  What I found was that some of the Michigan counties were found in states other than Michigan.  I had to create a new column combining the county name and the state name.  Only then could I get all of the counties in the state to register.  Wasn't able to develop a complete solution as of yet.  But I thought I'd throw this observation out for your consideration.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

There isnt really anything i can combine with the county name, other than the country, but its not like the irish counties are been seen elsewhere on the map as the filled map zooms into the country as soon as i add the data to the visualization.

Its very odd and think i'd rather it happened everytime as opposed to now and again.

Hi @kinseld5,

It works all fine for me after I set Data Category to County for Area column under Modeling tab with the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.49.4831.521 64-bit (August 2017)). Could you go to check if setting Data Category to County works for you? Smiley Happy

filledmap.PNG

Regards

hi,

ok so when i build the filled map from the file it works fine (as menitoned previously the issue was intermittent). by default the Data Category is set to Uncategorised, and when i open dashboard earlier it worked fine, all counties were highlighted without issue.

However when i select County as the Data Category PBi sees a number of counties now being defined over in the USA and Canada, when you zoom into Ireland you will notice that Dublin, Wexford, Clare and Roscommon are now fully blank.Untitled1.pngUntitled2.png

When you change the Data Category to Place you lose all of Limerick and only central Dublin remains highlighted.

Untitled3.png

The only options for Data Category that are working for me today, i.e. are showing all the counties highlighted, are:

Uncategorised

Latitude

Longitude

State or Province

This obviously isnt an easy fix, maybe on the days the Uncategorised option doesnt work ill just try change the Category field and hope it helps

Regards,

Dave

orourkebp
Frequent Visitor

@kinseld5

Have you checked things like spelling of the names?  Is it possible that your data and or the reference have the spelling of the county names differently?  e.g. Limerick in one and Limrick  in the other, or worse a hidden character in one e.g. Limerick vs Limerick<sp>?  I find sometimes that I have to copy the exact cell from the reference file into the dataset so as to ensure the lookups are identical.  

thanks for the reply.

The tables are the exact same, so for example, i could open up the dashboard today and all will be fine, then on monday i could open up the exact same dashboard and some parts of the map have not been filled. None of the data is actually changing

thanks,

dave

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.