Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Blithering
Regular Visitor

Filled Map - Grouping Countries to Create Custom Regions - Colour Saturation Fails

Hi all,

Definitions:

Region - Custom group of countries

I am trying to achieve the following:

Create a filled map with custom geographic regions built up from countries. I want my custom regions to be differentiated by colour e.g. blue/red/green but I also want the colour saturation of each country within a given region to change according to the value e.g. light blue/standard blue/dark blue. 

Example dataset:

Dataframe.PNG

Problem:

When I plot the countries and values alone (without region as a legend), the colour saturation varies according to the value - see below. However...

.Dashboard_NoRegion.PNG

When I introduce region as a legend, although the colour of the regions differ (as required), the colour saturation of countries within the same region do not - e.g. Italy should be much lighter than Spain but they are now the same colour.

Dashboard.PNG

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a bug?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Martin

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Blithering,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Blithering,

I'm afraid you missed something. The legend works like Group by. What you want should be grouping the the area first and then splitting them. But you reverse the steps.

You can see how legend works in the following two examples. You can check them out in this file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTqPk2pu-BkgUVEN2aeVA9fi5FC.

1. The column of ESP is split into four part by legend.Filled Map - Grouping Countries to Create Custom Regions - Colour Saturation Fails.jpg

2. Legend in a map.

Filled Map - Grouping Countries to Create Custom Regions - Colour Saturation Fails2.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Many thanks for your suggestion. I think this doesn't solve the issue that on the map itslef, the colour saturation doesn't vary within a given region. In your example - LUX (Luxembourg) and HUN (Hungary) should have different saturations of red but it looks to me like they are the same shade of red.

Sorry to be a pain!

Martin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.