Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pmdci
Advocate V
Advocate V

FEATURE REQUEST: We should be able to copy and paste visuals onto other applications

I was wondering if I can ask the community to provide their thoughts on this functionality.

Basically we can copy an paste visuals within Power BI, but we cannot paste visuals copied onto the clipboard to anywhere outside Power BI.

My users were hoping that they could copy and paste visuals freely onto other applications, just like when copying a chart from Excel and pasting it somewhere else, like this:

examplescreenshot.png

In this screenshot, I copied a chart from Excel and pasted it on both Word and on Paint.

To the very least, we should be able to copy chart images into the clipboard. As a bonus I would like the option to export them as JPEG, PNG and EMF files.

I wonder whast the rest of the community thinks?

Uservoice entry for copying to clipboard: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11698812-copy-screenshot-of-visua...

Uservoice entry for exporting visuals as raster and vectorial images: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/12556473-export-visual-as-raster-...

4 REPLIES 4

My view is - yes of course you should.  But I don't think this is an easy request.  Power BI is early in the proudct life cycle and "everything" still needs to be done.  The other operations you are referring to are part of a mature ecosystem (Windows and Office) and Power BI (Service at least) is not currently tight in that ecosystem (just my view).

So why don't you just take a screen shot and paste it into your other location as a work around for now?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks for the reply.

The workaround works perfectly for me (particularly since I am a big user of Snaggit). But this request came from my other users.

And yes you are right about the mature ecosystem.

Come to think of it, there is certainly a significant amount of code to handle the pasting through different applications. If I copy a chart and past it on Paint, it is pasted as a bitmap. But if I paste it on Word, it is as an embedded chart. Im particular, when right clicking a the word document you have the "paste special" option with several features, which includes pasting as an image.

But I think it is important mention this one up and place it on the rader for the product team.

There are similar requests in the Ideas section.  Go vote them up, or add your own version if you can't find an exact match.  Let us know here so we can vote for it too.  🙂

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

The links to the uservoice entries are in my first message.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.