Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Agennaretti

Error on PowerBI desktop during import procedure from sql server analysis service

Hi,

on PowerBi Desktop I'm trying to import all data from Microsoft Adventure Works DWH deployed on Sql Server Analysis Service Standard Edition. If I select all measures and dimensions, during the import procedure, I receive the following error (I have enabled tracing in the Power BI desktop diagnostic area):

DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while processing the dimension of the object with ID 'Fact Sales Summary 1' and the name 'Sales Summary Order Details'.
Errors in the high-level relational engine. Unable to establish a connection to the data source with the DataSourceID 'Adventure Works DW' and the name 'Adventure Works DW'.
XML for Analysis parser: Timeout of the XML for Analysis request before completion.
Details:
     DataSourceKind = AnalysisServices
     DataSourcePath = serverName; AdventureWorksDW2012

Anyway after this error If I try to apply the import I receive another error message:

"The operation has been cancelled due to insufficient memory problem. If you use 32 bit version of this product try to install 64 bit version or expand your memory on your computer"

PowerBI Desktop is x64 version. The size of Microsoft AdventureWorks Cube is 18 MB. I have 60 days evaluation pro account with 10 GB on cloud. I'm using a Windows 7 64-bit environment i5 with 8 GB of RAM.

What's the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Andrea

3 REPLIES 3
pqian
Employee
Employee

@Agennaretti If you are getting all dimensions and measures, it seems like what you want is to live connect to that Cube. Can you give that a try?

I don't want to live connect to that cube but I want to import all (live connect is not supported because I have Sql Server Standard Edition).

Anyway why I receive these errors?

Hi @Agennaretti,

Currently, only Enterprise and Business Intelligence editions of SQL Server are supported for MD connectivity. Please see "Limitations of SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop" in below link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-ssas-multidimensional/

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.