Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wrwillits
Helper III
Helper III

Error in FIND function

I am trying to use the Find Function but keep getting an error message every time I try to save the calculated column. I am trying to find the "(" text within a text column and PBI throws an error stating that "The Search Text provided to function "FIND" could not be found in the given text." Here's an example of the column for the "given text":

Aircraft (Serial #)      Aircraft Type

AS365 (65533)

AW139 (399443)

S-92 (7649246)

I am trying to pull out the "Aircraft" type from the "Aircraft (Serial #)" column so my formula is:

Aircraft Type =

LEFT( [Aircraft (Serial #)],

FIND( "(", [Aircraft (Serial #)] ) - 1

)

It seems that the FIND function in DAX will not accept the "(" as the text to find, and instead assumes that the "(" is part of the formula. It of course works fine in Excel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@wrwillits

Please make sure that you're using the latest version of PBI Desktop. I just tested with your formula and it worked well on my side as following screenshot.

Error in FIND function_1.jpg

@trevor

You need to change 0 to 1 in your formula.

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@wrwillits

Please make sure that you're using the latest version of PBI Desktop. I just tested with your formula and it worked well on my side as following screenshot.

Error in FIND function_1.jpg

@trevor

You need to change 0 to 1 in your formula.

Best Regards,
Herbert

I updated to the Nov release and it now works.

Thanks!

trevor
Helper I
Helper I

Similarly, I am having trouble with the FIND function,  I have a Text column [Cost Type] in a table and am trying to find if the word "Freight" appears in the value:

find("FREIGHT",[Cost Type],0)

Power BI is telling me "An argument of function 'FIND' has the wrong data type or has an invalid value."

It seems the function won't accept "Freight" as an argument either, so it's not limited to the ( character.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors