Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error Message - Unexpected error encountered when opening report in Power BI Desktop

Hi,

Am getting the following error, everytime I am trying to open any power bi report in Power BI Desktop.

JS Error Message:
Script error.

Error Message:
An error occurred while rendering the report.

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.JavaScriptException: An error occurred while rendering the report.
   at :line 0

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassd.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Has anyone faced this issue? Can you please help?

I have tried clearing Cache folder from Power BI...It is not working for me

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is the same, so we could be onto a winner here.  I will sometimes get an error on tabs without the matrix visual too, but only in report files where i've used it.

I might make a test file where i remove this visual and see if it fixes it.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope that didn't fix it.  I've now gone to a tab, removed every visual and done a Save/Close.  Going to this tab has not spawned an error.  So i'll try removing visuals 1 at a time until i find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you by any chance using a custom visual "Hierarchy Slicer"?  My error seemed to go away on the tab where i removed that visual.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been getting a similar error, but my reports continue to work.  I was concerned it might be a case of "I've written these reports in an earlier version and this newer one hates something".

I should note that i'm using the Matrix visual, but the one previous to whats being used in the latest version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ross,

I am facing the exact same issue.

Initially my reports were built using Matrix Visuals which were in Preview Feature. Post July updates. I have incorporated few more tabs in the existing report, which contains the Matrix Visual.

It was working all fine. Since yesterday, am getting the error everytime I open the report. Once I click on Close . The report works fine.

When I publish it to app.power bi, i do not get any error.

However, the users who will be using this report wants to access the report from Power BI Desktop.

So am trying to figure out a way to solve the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is the same, so we could be onto a winner here.  I will sometimes get an error on tabs without the matrix visual too, but only in report files where i've used it.

I might make a test file where i remove this visual and see if it fixes it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope that didn't fix it.  I've now gone to a tab, removed every visual and done a Save/Close.  Going to this tab has not spawned an error.  So i'll try removing visuals 1 at a time until i find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you by any chance using a custom visual "Hierarchy Slicer"?  My error seemed to go away on the tab where i removed that visual.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ross,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I removed Hierarchy Slicer and the issue does not exist any more. I think, the slicer is probably triggering the issue.

Somehow that slicer is one of the requirement, we cant remove.

I have raised a ticket with microsoft. If I hear back from them with any resolution. I shall update the same to you as well.

I have submitted a new version for approval that solves the 'Unexpected error' you are facing in Power BI Desktop. And after approval this version will be available asap.

Sorry for the inconvenience..

Thanks, JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks JP.

Hierarchy Slicer is very useful visualization. I hope the patch is available to us soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am using Hierarchy Slicer as well.

Let me try to remove that slicer and check if it works

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.