Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kateryna
Regular Visitor

Enter Data with Formulas

Hello Everybody!

I have just started exploring PBI world and need to solve the following task: add formula to a cell in a table, which was added with the help of "Enter Data" tool. The purpose is to create a calculated cell referring to another imported table.

If anyone has an idea how to do that, I would be very-very grateful!

Printscreen is below:

Example.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kateryna,

In Power BI Desktop, there is no option to add formula to a cell to create a calculated cell in a table.

In your scenario, you should create new calculate column instead. You can do it with DAX under Modeling tab, or with Power Query(M) with Query Editor > Add Column tab. For more details about how to create calculated columns in Power BI Desktop, you can refer to this article.

If you have any question about the formula to create the new column, just post your table structures with some sample data and your expected result here. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hello @v-ljerr-msft!

Thank you for replying to me! Got back from short vacation and just saw your advice.

I am afraid that creating a calculated column would not be enough to complete the task. Let me give you a detailed example.

1. I import data on Sales from SBO

Pic 1.JPG

2. I created calculated column on estimated rebates to customers with the help of other related tables

Pic 2.JPG

3. In the report I would like to see Estimated rebates Total in the rows as below:

Pic 3.JPG

Is there any way to get this result?

Very appreciate your ideas.

Best regards,

Kateryna

Hi @kateryna,

I assume you already have a table called "Table1" like below.

t1.PNG

To get your expected result, you need to add a new table("Table2") with a single column like below(using Enter Data or Import it from Excel etc). 

t2.PNG

Then you should be able to use the formula below to create a new calculate column in Table2. Smiley Happy

Sales USD = 
IF (
    Table2[Customer] <> "Estimated Rebates",
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table1[Sales USD], Table1[Customer], Table2[Customer] ),
    SUM ( Table1[Estimated Rebates USD] )
)

c1.PNG

Regards

Dear @v-ljerr-msft,

Thank you for the details. I was almost sure it is solved, but here is where I am stuck:

Table 2 - this is example of visual report, which can be based on Customer, Product, Terms of Payment etc...so creating additional tables with vlookup will probably overload PBI.

What I have done - created a new table 2 with line Est Reb and created new calculated column Sales_SC. After I have appended table 2 with table 1, but the problem is that in column Sales_SC/ row Est Reb there is no values. I guess the problem is related to the fact that this is calculated column and not added one.

Is there any other way to incorporate somehow this additional line with calculated column into table 1?

Best regards,

Kateryna

Hi @kateryna,

Table 2 - this is example of visual report, which can be based on Customer, Product, Terms of Payment etc...so creating additional tables with vlookup will probably overload PBI.

What I have done - created a new table 2 with line Est Reb and created new calculated column Sales_SC. After I have appended table 2 with table 1, but the problem is that in column Sales_SC/ row Est Reb there is no values. I guess the problem is related to the fact that this is calculated column and not added one.

Nice solution!

To make this solution work:

1. Created a new table 2 with line Est Reb and created new calculated column Sales USD, and another calculate column Estimated Rebates USD.

Sales USD = SUM(Table1[Estimated Rebates USD])
Estimated Rebates USD = SUM(Table1[Estimated Rebates USD])

t2.PNG

2. Then you should be able to use UNION function to create a new calculate table "Table3" to join Table1 and Table2.

Table 3 = UNION(Table1,Table2)

t3.PNG

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.