Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

powerbi_user
Regular Visitor

Embedding PowerBI Map into Website Securely

I currently have multiple Excel spreadsheets with different types of data (country, projects, names, etc.). I have imported them using PowerBI into an interactive map. I want to be able to publish this map on a website that is publicly available to everyone.

I know I can use the "Publish to Website" feature, however I was reading that it is insecure as it makes ALL of the data publicly accessible. 

Is there any way to have only certain types of data shown on the publicly available map, while allowing me to edit and update information to the data in the map? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @powerbi_user

You can consider to use visual level filters to restrict data shown in the map, the use “Publish to web” feature. Moreover, you can set schedule refresh for your dataset in Power BI Service, once you use “Publish to web” feature and embed the map in your application, data refreshes are automatically reflected in your embedded report or visual. After refresh occurs in Power BI Service reports , it can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible from embed codes.
1.PNG

However, if the above step doesn’t help in your scenario and you concern about the security issue, you can consider to embed Power BI reports in SharePoint Online pages using “Embed in SharePoint Online” option, see this article to get more details. Or you can consider to use Power BI embedded to add Power BI reports into your application.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @powerbi_user

You can consider to use visual level filters to restrict data shown in the map, the use “Publish to web” feature. Moreover, you can set schedule refresh for your dataset in Power BI Service, once you use “Publish to web” feature and embed the map in your application, data refreshes are automatically reflected in your embedded report or visual. After refresh occurs in Power BI Service reports , it can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible from embed codes.
1.PNG

However, if the above step doesn’t help in your scenario and you concern about the security issue, you can consider to embed Power BI reports in SharePoint Online pages using “Embed in SharePoint Online” option, see this article to get more details. Or you can consider to use Power BI embedded to add Power BI reports into your application.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.