Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Dynamic display of charts using slicer

Hi All,

I need to show different the chart dynamically based slicer value.

Requirement: I have slicer which has two values 'Summary' and 'aggregate'. Based on slicer selection, we need to show pie or line chart and the placement should not be changed

Option 1: Show and hiding of  charts

Option 2: Toggle

I am not sure completely on implementation part. Could you please provide your inputs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
12 REPLIES 12
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

I have a very simple version here that you can download that uses R to manage the changing of the chart types.

https://wgtnpowerbi-my.sharepoint.com/personal/phil_wgtnpowerbi_onmicrosoft_com/_layouts/15/guestacc...

Seems to work ok so if you like it you just need to enhance the R code to format the charts.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Phil_Seamark ,

I couldent open your below link.

https://wgtnpowerbi-my.sharepoint.com/personal/phil_wgtnpowerbi_onmicrosoft_com/_layouts/15/guestacc...

Could you please share another valid link? I would like to see R codes which you used to solve this problem. Thanks a lot.

Thanks so much.

Will it works in Power BI service. Is R-Visuals works in Power BI Service

It should do. I will check this morning and post a link.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Sunkari

Please use the following link to test the very simple implementation using an R-Visual

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMDk5YzZmNzktOTIyYy00ODkyLTliMjctMTNkYzc5OTJmNmJmIiwidCI6ImNlZ...

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hate to break the bad news:

R-OnlyonDesktop.PNG 

Hmmm. That's odd. It worked for me this morning. Will have another play tomorrow. Thanks for checking.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Sunkari and @ovetteabejuela

Yeah it looks like the web-sharing I used is bascially on the free-tier which doesn't support R scripts.  So as long as you publish then view with a Pro license you should be good.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Phil_Seamark,

I see --- Pro feature, thanks I didn't know that.

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Sunkari

I don't think you can do this in Power BI just yet.  Maybe once they have filled out the API a little there will be scope to build custom javascript to show/hide charts in the same place.

Alternative you could build your own custom visual but this would not be a trivial task.  

Another maybe easier option is to do this in an R visual.  The parameter could be passed through to the R code to control the plot style.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.