Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dborrelli
Regular Visitor

Dynamic column based on slicer selection

Hi all,

I work in higher ed and I want my end users to be able to compare the application details form any term to the previous application cycle for that term (e.g. Fall 2016 -> Fall 2015, Spring 2017 -> Spring 2016). I've created a table ('Terms') which identifies which term is "Current" and which is "Previous" based on the user's selection of a slicer connect to my main FactTable.

I've successfully identified what is "Current" based on the user's slicer selection. Look at column "Designation2" in the below image and you'll see that 2017 Fall is designated as the current year:

Capture.PNG

What I can't seem to get right is for "Designation2" to simultaneously identify - in this example - 2016 Fall as the previous year. here is the DAX I'm using; if anyone has a minute, I'd really appreciate some insight into where I've gone wrong.

Designation2 =

IF(ISFILTERED ('FactTable'[Entry Term]) && HASONEVALUE ('FactTable'[Entry Term]) && MIN('Terms'[Entry Term]) = MIN('FactTable'[Entry Term]), "Current Year",

IF(ISFILTERED ('FactTable'[Entry Term]) && HASONEVALUE ('FactTable'[Entry Term]) && REPLACE(MIN(Terms[Entry Term]),1,5,"") = REPLACE(MIN('FactTable'[Entry Term]),1,5,"") && VALUE(LEFT(MIN(Terms[Entry Term]),4)) = (VALUE(LEFT(MIN('FactTable'[Entry Term]),4))-1), "Previous Year", 

MIN('Terms'[Entry Term])))

2 REPLIES 2
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @dborrelli,

The idea for dynamic changing dims is a proper relationships between Fact tabel - Dims and Filter options table with a little bit redundant data in fact or in consolidated dims table. I think you could refer my topic for dynamic columns on slicer selection. 

If this works for you please accept it as solution and also like to give KUDOS.

Best regards
Tri Nguyen

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dborrelli,

Power bi not support to create dynamic column/table based on slicer chosen, please take a look at below article to know more about this.

Calculated Column/Table Change Dynamically According to Slicer Selection in the Report.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.