Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumb question time - file size limit

Apologies... I've searched the forum and the web, but have struggled to find a definitive answer.

Is there a limit to the size of file you can upload to the PBI service? I'm on a pro license free trial, and I was of the understnading that pro users have a 10gb allowance on the PBI service. The file I'm trying to upload is 1.1gb, but I get a message saying it's too big, and that only files up to 1024mb are supported.

Is that it? Is that the absolute limit, or is this a constraint of my free trial license?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

1GB is the individual file size limit.  I believe this is also the limit in Power BI Pro.  I believe Power BI Premium allows for larger individual file sizes.

Take a look at the Vertipaq Analyzer by SQLBI.  You should remove columns that aren't needed in your data model, and look for other ways to improve compression.  Your users will thank you when the slicers work quickly!

View solution in original post

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

In addition to other’s post, check if you can connect to the data sources using “DirectQuery” or “Connect Live” mode, 1GB limitation doesn’t apply on the datasets that connect via DirectQuery or Connect Live mode.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Power BI Premium workspace allow the import of parquet from ADLS GEN 2 files totalling 100GB?

If not, what is the maximum allowed space on Power BI Premium workspace?

Is there a way I can directly query the parquet files instead of importing them?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

In addition to other’s post, check if you can connect to the data sources using “DirectQuery” or “Connect Live” mode, 1GB limitation doesn’t apply on the datasets that connect via DirectQuery or Connect Live mode.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Good call @v-yuezhe-msft, since DirectQuery and Connect Live don't actually store any data in the model, you can get around that limitation.  This will (typically) only work with relational databases / SSAS cubes as your entire backend data model.

I would be REALLY hesitant to move this to DirectQuery though.  Performance can take a big hit, and you lose a lot of the powerful functions that DAX allows for.  DirectQuery definitely has its uses, but it should not be chosen unless careful consideration has been made.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies @Anonymous and @v-yuezhe-msft

Yeah, familiar with the Vertipaq Analyser already as I've used it with SSAS models. In a previous role we used Azure Analysis Services, and we connected our Power BI reports directly to it. Perfromance was great. In a new job now and they don't have SSAS (yet). I'm happy that my model is as lean as I can get it - I do always find it hard to balance the keeping it nice and slim versus stripping out data that will be useful down the line, and I was hoping to build a data model that could be reusable for other reports as opposed to just one that services only this report.

I'm currently working on a direct query POC, so getting all my data on prem into a nice compact star schema - will see how it performs once I'm done.

If that's no good, then it's a business case to justify Analysis Services

Anonymous
Not applicable

1GB is the individual file size limit.  I believe this is also the limit in Power BI Pro.  I believe Power BI Premium allows for larger individual file sizes.

Take a look at the Vertipaq Analyzer by SQLBI.  You should remove columns that aren't needed in your data model, and look for other ways to improve compression.  Your users will thank you when the slicers work quickly!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.