Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vincenti
Advocate I
Advocate I

Download Power BI on Mac

Hi guys,

I am using a Macbook Pro and am hoping to use Microsoft Power BI to run analytics for my small business. Is there a way for me to download it to my Macbook? If not, is there a timeline on when a Mac version might be released? 

Thank you,

Vince

32 REPLIES 32
dexterz
Helper II
Helper II

power bi inside is sql server Analysis Services Tabular,not could in mac

letitbi
Advocate I
Advocate I

As a regular user of Power BI on Apple device, I chosed to configure a Windows VM with parallels desktop on my machine to get the best of the two worlds : Power BI Online on Mac for reading, editing and sharing dashboard, and Power BI Desktop on my VM for advanced editing and ETL stuffs...

Of course I'll vote for the power bi Desktop on mac feature. This feature will allows Microsoft to challenge Tableau in the compatibility side..
Cheers
mbaca

Same problem, it would help me a lot if they had this app for Mac. I hope they could make Powe BI availabe for Mac soon, please.

@mbaca wrote:

Same problem, it would help me a lot if they had this app for Mac. I hope they could make Powe BI availabe for Mac soon, please.

I wouldn't hold your breath for this...

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I run Power BI on my Mac with Parallels. I have 8GB RAM so it works ok, but I wouldn't try it with any less than that. Sorry I'm late to the discussion!

As another option, you could spin up a Windows VM in Azure and load Power BI onto that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

I have set up a virtual machine on Azure, but I am unsure of how to get Power BI to load in it. 

I am sure it is my poor knowledge and user error - any help you can give - I'd be grateful.

Hi,

Can you share link of how to do it? / Where to download this software (Windows VM in AZure) from? 

I would like to run powerBI on my Mac too.

Thanks

Try this one Raw Power 1.2.1

You need an Azure subscription and then it is very easy. A simple internet search for how to set up a Windows VM in Azure will give you what you need. Once the VM is configured, you use the remote desktop connection to access it, and then use the VM's browser to download PowerBI.
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

There's no native Mac version of Power BI Desktop, though the community idea is Under Review (being considered) by the Power BI team. You could add your votes there.

Until that happens, are you able to run Windows on your Mac and install it that way? You can only run one operating system at a time, but there are plenty of resources online for how to do this. I've never needed to do that so can't really report how well it works for running Power BI, but it's worth a try.

You can still use the features of PowerBI.com from your Mac (without running Windows), but that won't allow you full access to the report creation tools available in Power BI Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.