Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kenyonca
Frequent Visitor

Displaying multiple dates across a single x axis

I am trying to display different stages of our planning on the same line and bar graph.

To simplify my data that I have pulling from SmartSheet:

Work Plan ID     Draft Plan Date     Design Need Date    IFC Plan Start Date      Actual Construction Start

TB-GR-37           3/6/2017                          7/9/2017                8/8/2017                         9/7/2017

TB-CU-44           3/24/2017                       7/13/2017               8/12/2017                       9/11/2017

TB-GR-15           3/3/2017                         7/14/2017              8/10/2017                        9/7/2017

there are approximately 750+ lines with this type of data

With this I am hoping to show based on the month (also drill down to show the week) how many plans we need to have that month: Draft Plan Date, Design Need Date, IFC Plan Start Date, and Actual Construction Start.

I have tried using a Date Table and have that displaying on the x-axis. I then need the count of the different dates as the y-axis. However, when I try to do that I always get the counts as being the same for each of the 4 date categories. I believe this has to do with only being able to use the relationship only once between the Date Table and one of the 4 date categories.

Is there any way to display multiple dates for a single line across the same line and bar chart?

Thanks

2017-02-20 15_56_42-CWP Dashboard - Power BI Desktop.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@kenyonca You're correct, I don't think you would be able to use those filters.  How about this as another option?  What we need to do is unpivot your dates in the Query Editor.  I added Location as a column in my sample dataset to use as an example.

PBI Multiple Dates 1.jpg

In the Query Editor I selected my date columns and clicked Unpivot Columns

PBI Multiple Dates 2.jpg

The result is this; you can rename "Attribute" and "Value" if you want, but now you have a list of dates that are being described by the attribute.

PBI Multiple Dates 3.jpg

You can now set up a relationship between your Date table and your single Date column in your table

PBI Multiple Dates 4.jpg

I can build a bar chart that looks like this:

PBI Multiple Dates 5.jpg

And filter on location using a Slicer.

PBI Multiple Dates 6.jpg

Does this meet all your requirements?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
danrmcallister
Resolver II
Resolver II

There might be a more-slick option for this, but my thought would be to do the following:

• Add 4 columns to your Date table - one for each date you want to track.  The columns will be the count of each type of date you want to ID
  • The formula for each column will be something like:
ActualConstructionStartDateCount = 
CALCULATE(Countrows(WorkDate),
    Filter(WorkDate,WorkDate[ActualConstructionStart] = 'Date'[Date]) 
    )

Where WorkDate is the table you share a screenshot of above.  Result is something like this with the 3 records you shared:

PBI Counts of Multiple Dates.jpg

Thoughts?

Dan

Thanks for the suggestion @danrmcallister

I'm fairly new to Power BI

I'm trying out this solution but it wont seem to work. For reference my dates for the 4 different date sets are under the "CWP Status".

My Date Table just includes all dates from project start to finish.

Please see below shot

Sure @kenyonca, so what I am suggesting is that you add a few columns to your date table - one each for each type of date you want counted.  In your date table with all dates then you'll have a summary of how many projects have an "ActualConstructionStartDate" (etc) on that specific day.  Please correct me if that's not what you are looking for!

Dan

Thats a good workaround for that issue thanks @danrmcallister. I should maybe have mentioned there is still quite a few different filters that we are trying to run such as Discipline, Location, Work Area, Actual Labor MHRs, etc. This data is all on the same rows as those other dates.

With that when I try to apply those filters they dont make any changes to the data. My guess is this because the "count" function used doesnt take into account any of this information.

That works perfectly!!!

Thanks for all the help @danrmcallister

Cameron

@kenyonca You're correct, I don't think you would be able to use those filters.  How about this as another option?  What we need to do is unpivot your dates in the Query Editor.  I added Location as a column in my sample dataset to use as an example.

PBI Multiple Dates 1.jpg

In the Query Editor I selected my date columns and clicked Unpivot Columns

PBI Multiple Dates 2.jpg

The result is this; you can rename "Attribute" and "Value" if you want, but now you have a list of dates that are being described by the attribute.

PBI Multiple Dates 3.jpg

You can now set up a relationship between your Date table and your single Date column in your table

PBI Multiple Dates 4.jpg

I can build a bar chart that looks like this:

PBI Multiple Dates 5.jpg

And filter on location using a Slicer.

PBI Multiple Dates 6.jpg

Does this meet all your requirements?

kenyonca
Frequent Visitor

I am trying to display different stages of our planning on the same line and bar graph.

To simplify my data that I have pulling from SmartSheet:

Work Plan ID     Draft Plan Date     Design Need Date    IFC Plan Start Date      Actual Construction Start

TB-GR-37           3/6/2017                          7/9/2017                8/8/2017                         9/7/2017

TB-CU-44           3/24/2017                       7/13/2017               8/12/2017                       9/11/2017

TB-GR-15           3/3/2017                         7/14/2017              8/10/2017                        9/7/2017

there are approximately 750+ lines with this type of data

With this I am hoping to show based on the month (also drill down to show the week) how many plans we are scheduled for. I need the other columns to display the other count of dates; Design Need Date, IFC Plan Start Date, and Actual Construction Start.

I have tried using a Date Table and have that displaying on the x-axis. I then need the count of the different dates as the y-axis. However, when I try to do that I always get the counts as being the same for each of the 4 date categories. I believe this has to do with only being able to use the relationship only once between the Date Table and one of the 4 date categories.

Is there any way to display multiple dates for a single line across the same line and bar chart?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.