Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jayeckles
Advocate III
Advocate III

Displaying a key on custom shape map

I'm using a TopoJSON file that represents the state house districts in Tennessee.  Among the keys in that map are geoid, name, etc.  I'm using geoid for the location field.  When you hover over an area in the map visual, the tooltip shows you the value for geoid and the value for color saturation.  So far, so good.

What I want to show in the tooltip instead of geoid is name.  E.g., instead of showing "geoid: 47014 / count: 2", I want the tooltip to show "name: State House District 14 / count: 2".  As a consolation prize I'd take showing the name in addition to geoid.

I know that I can add fields to tooltip in the fields well, but that's insufficient.  For one, it appears that the tooltip values can only be summarized numerical values.  Even if I had a field called name in my data set, if I drag that to tool tips, I end up with count of name.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  I ended up adding the place name to my data set and then using this formula for a new measure:

District Name = VALUES(districttest[districtName])

I added that measure to the Tooltip, and it displayed as expected.

I appreciate the assistance!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jayeckles,

Yes, tooltip values can only be summarized numerical values or count of text values. If you want display the name in the map, you’d better create a measure and use it in tooltips by the following formula.

Names List Measure = CONCATENATEX ( VALUES(Table[NameColumn]), Table[NameColumn],", ")

This formula will work for 1 or many names associated with that location.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks.  I ended up adding the place name to my data set and then using this formula for a new measure:

District Name = VALUES(districttest[districtName])

I added that measure to the Tooltip, and it displayed as expected.

I appreciate the assistance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.