Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Humpjs
Advocate I
Advocate I

Disable the selection of a visual?

I don't think there's a way to do this, but thought I'd ask.   I'd like to disable the user from selecting a visual, text box, image, chart on my report.   Is there a way to set them up as "read only" to where they cannot be selected?    I have several visuals on a report that are populated based on slicers.  I'd like for the user just to be able to select or interact with the slicers or just one or two of the visuals.   Also have several images, lines, text boxes that are display only and a pain to deal with when the user accidentally clicks on them.  

Something like an enable selection in VBA works.

5 REPLIES 5
pxg08680
Resolver III
Resolver III

@Humpjs

All depends on where/how you shared your file. What you asked is not possible in Desktop. Any other sourcers like Power Bi Service except the owner, no one has the accessability to select visuals except selecting slicer values.

We are using the service as an App on our website.  THere are some visuals I don't want anyone selecting that are there for "viewing purposes only", but it brings up the white box when you click on it.   Does the same thing with text boxes and shapes.

Hope this makes sense.

Untitled.png

Hi @Humpjs,

The recipients you share reports with have no access to edit your reports or select a visual on service. As pxg08680 said, they can only see few options on visual like Export data, Spotlight,Showdata.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Humpjs

But I don't think users can make changes. They are allowed to have few options on visual like Export data, Spotlight,Showdata.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Humpjs,

How did you let users to view your reports, via Power BI desktop or service? If you directly share .pbix file woth them, there is no possible way to limit their permission to "read only". If you share report with them on service via dashboard, or publishing app, or adding them as read only members into an app workspace, they are not able to edit your report.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.