Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DirectQuery with HANA calculation views : Error

Hello

I am  unable to connect HANA Calculation view using DirectQuery on PowerBI Desktop.

Is it supported?

I read the documentation which suggests that HANA Direct query is supported, but it doesn't specify whether it works with HANA Calculation view/Analytical view as well. 

I am able to connect to HANA with SQL query in DirectQuery mode, but the issue comes while using any of the HANA information view. The error I get is "Combining DirectQuery and Import isn't supported". My model has only this calculation view as the only query.

Would appreciate if anyone has any experience in this.

Thanks

Sumit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally logged a support ticket with Microsoft helpdesk and eventually got it to work.

The trick was to clear the datasource settings and start over. Even though my model/workbook didn't have any other datasource for some reason it was still thinking there is an import datasource within my workbook. This refresh worked for me.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

What version of Power BI Desktop are you using? According to your description above, I just tested it with the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July 2017)). I can successfully connect to HANA Calculation View in DirectQuery mode, and use the HANA information view on the report without this issue.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance on it. Smiley Happy

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally logged a support ticket with Microsoft helpdesk and eventually got it to work.

The trick was to clear the datasource settings and start over. Even though my model/workbook didn't have any other datasource for some reason it was still thinking there is an import datasource within my workbook. This refresh worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-ljerr-msft for your reply.

I am also using Power BI Version: 2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July 2017) and connecting to HANA DB version 1.00.112.02.1459851171.

I still can't get it to work - Prompts error that direct query and import cant be combined. If I write direct SQL, it works without any issues. I will create a support ticket as suggested.

Regards

SumitError

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any inputs from anyone?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors