Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alwweb
Advocate II
Advocate II

Difference between importing a table and a worksheet

When I click Get Data | Excel | Connect, and then browse to my file, it gives me the option to import my tables and worksheets.  The icons are different for tables and worksheets.

Is there a benefit to using one over the other, or do you always want to pick one over the other?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Another advantage of tables is that they auto adjust their size to the actual data.

If you would add some data somewhere else in your worksheet, it will be imported if you choose worksheet, but if you import from a table, you will only get the data from the table.

So you should always use tables, unless your manager disapproves Smiley LOL

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alwweb

Whenever possible I prefer to import Tables over Worksheets.

Power Query aka GetData recognizes the Column Headers from Tables in more efficient way.

Thank you for the reply.  Can you please provide more info?  I just imported a bunch of worksheets because the worksheet was named correctly and the tables on the worksheets were named Table1, Table2, etc.  It seemed to find all of the column names just fine.

Was there something else that it is missing when I do it this way?

Another advantage of tables is that they auto adjust their size to the actual data.

If you would add some data somewhere else in your worksheet, it will be imported if you choose worksheet, but if you import from a table, you will only get the data from the table.

So you should always use tables, unless your manager disapproves Smiley LOL

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.