Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerTom
Frequent Visitor

Difference between 3 types of CALCULATE

Hello,

I have a basic DAX question about CALCULATE.

We have three types of CALCULATE statements :

1. Chutes Y-1 = VAR Year = CALCULATE([CurrentYear]-1)    RETURN CALCULATE(CALCULATE([Chutes];'Date'[Jaar]=Year);ALL('Date'))

2. Chutes Y-1 TEST = VAR Year = CALCULATE([CurrentYear]-1)    RETURN CALCULATE([Chutes];'Date'[Jaar]=Year;ALL('Date'))

3. Chutes Y-1 TEST = VAR Year = CALCULATE([CurrentYear]-1)    RETURN CALCULATE([Chutes];ALL('Date');'Date'[Jaar]=Year)

Do those statements have the same behaviour or is it possible that they give different results? If so, why?

Thanks for your answer!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oops, you're quite right, I misread Measure 1 🙂

The answer is the same though: Measure 1 behaves the same as measures 2 & 3.

Measure 1 applies the two filters in sequence, while Measures 2 & 3 apply the filters simultaneously, which is why one might expect the results could be different.

To explain:

Measure 1 first removes all 'Date' filters then adds a filter on 'Date'[Jaar], with the result being no filters on 'Date' except for the filter on 'Date'[Jaar].

Measure 2 simultaneously removes all 'Date' filters and adds a filter on 'Date'[Jaar], which results in the intersection of the two filters.

In DAX, the intersection of

1. Removing filters on 'Date'[Jaar] with ALL('Date'), and
  2. Adding of a filter on the same column 'Date'[Jaar]

is defined to be just the filter specified in (2), i.e. a filter on 'Date'[Jaar] with all other 'Date' filters removed, which is the same as in Measure 1.

This makes sense, since the removal of a filter is conceptually the same as setting the filter to all possible values in the column, and intersecting this with a particular filter just results in the particular filter being applied.

In general, filters applied in sequence with nested CALCULATEs won't necessarily be the same as filters applied simultaneously within a single CALCULATE. It just happens to work this way when the outer filter is an ALL(...) function.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerTom

All 3 measures have the same behaviour.

• Measures 2 & 3 behave the same since the order of CALCULATE filter arguments (2nd argument onwards) doesn't matter.
  • Measure 1 behaves the same as measures 2 & 3 since the outer CALCULATE in Measure 1 has no effect.
    In the absence of a row context, an expression of the form CALCULATE ( CALCULATE ( [Expression], ...) ) has the same effect as CALCULATE ( [Expression], ... ). The outer CALCULATE includes no filter arguments, so has no effect on the result of the inner CALCULATE.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hello Owen,

Thank you for your answer.

It is clear for me now that measures 2 & 3 behave the same, but I think you overlooked something for measure 1.

Measure 1 does have a filter argument in the outer CALCULATE :

Chutes Y-1 = VAR Year = CALCULATE([CurrentYear]-1)    RETURN CALCULATE(CALCULATE([Chutes];'Date'[Jaar]=Year);ALL('Date'))

So with keeping this in mind, does measure 1 behaves the same as mesaures 2 & 3?

Thanks,

Tom

Oops, you're quite right, I misread Measure 1 🙂

The answer is the same though: Measure 1 behaves the same as measures 2 & 3.

Measure 1 applies the two filters in sequence, while Measures 2 & 3 apply the filters simultaneously, which is why one might expect the results could be different.

To explain:

Measure 1 first removes all 'Date' filters then adds a filter on 'Date'[Jaar], with the result being no filters on 'Date' except for the filter on 'Date'[Jaar].

Measure 2 simultaneously removes all 'Date' filters and adds a filter on 'Date'[Jaar], which results in the intersection of the two filters.

In DAX, the intersection of

1. Removing filters on 'Date'[Jaar] with ALL('Date'), and
  2. Adding of a filter on the same column 'Date'[Jaar]

is defined to be just the filter specified in (2), i.e. a filter on 'Date'[Jaar] with all other 'Date' filters removed, which is the same as in Measure 1.

This makes sense, since the removal of a filter is conceptually the same as setting the filter to all possible values in the column, and intersecting this with a particular filter just results in the particular filter being applied.

In general, filters applied in sequence with nested CALCULATEs won't necessarily be the same as filters applied simultaneously within a single CALCULATE. It just happens to work this way when the outer filter is an ALL(...) function.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thanks for the good explanation!

Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors