Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Miskondukt
Helper III
Helper III

Deleted ONE column of a table and my Dashboard BROKE!

I updated ONE table deleting ONE column and now I cannot refresh the data. What gives? Is M$ saying that NO changes can be made to a table once it's uploaded into PowerBI? 

PowerBIRefresherror.png

I have also deleted said column in the data view of Power BI and still it does not refresh. I really do not want to (a) have to rebuild the entire dashboard and (b) have to worry about having EVERYTHING in a table hte first go around. There will be edit, ppl will want different aspects after seeing what the dashboard provides and is capable of. This cannot be how PBI works...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Read through the query steps for that table. It's referenced somewhere in there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Miskondukt
Helper III
Helper III

I found this area, but how do I correct it from there? I tried using  the "delete column" option to no avail.

PowerBIRefresherror2.png

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

You clearly have either

1. a step somewhere in your query (perhaps setting the data type),
  2. a measure or column in your data model,
  3. or a table relationship

...that references that column. Or you have several of those things, but at least one. So in order for that thing to work, you need that column. If you want to get rid of that column you'll have to get rid of that thing that references it too. If you didn't have anything that ever used or referenced that column, you could delete it without consequence the way you think you should.

It was a blank column, no value nor was it used anywhere.

Read through the query steps for that table. It's referenced somewhere in there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.