Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

codyraptor
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dax measure in a text box based on selected item

I'm looking to build a dynamic text box. It already shows a dimension when a selection is made, but I want to refer to a measure as well based on the selected item. Another words, if you select 'john' on a chart, then the text box will say John's yearly cost is 'measure'. I have the everything figured out except the measure piece. I tried using 'lookup', but that doesn't seem to work. Thanks!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
codyraptor
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hey Everyone,

Just tossing this bit of DAX language in here to show that the text can change based on the drill down in a chart.  Just took a bit of trial and error on my part.  See example below:

if(hasonevalue(name),

values(name) & " text text text " & [measure] & " above plan " & etc.... ,

if(hasonevalue(name)&&hasonevalue(state),

values(name) & " text text text " & [measure] & " above plan by" & [state],

etc...

The first IF statement will produce the text only if a 'name' is chosen.  The 2nd IF statement will produce text if both a 'name' and a 'state' is chose....so drilling down on a name in a chart to get to the level with a state..then selecting a state will produce the statement.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
codyraptor
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hey Everyone,

Just tossing this bit of DAX language in here to show that the text can change based on the drill down in a chart.  Just took a bit of trial and error on my part.  See example below:

if(hasonevalue(name),

values(name) & " text text text " & [measure] & " above plan " & etc.... ,

if(hasonevalue(name)&&hasonevalue(state),

values(name) & " text text text " & [measure] & " above plan by" & [state],

etc...

The first IF statement will produce the text only if a 'name' is chosen.  The 2nd IF statement will produce text if both a 'name' and a 'state' is chose....so drilling down on a name in a chart to get to the level with a state..then selecting a state will produce the statement.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its going to depend on your slicer and what you can draw from it.  You could make use of FIRSTNONBLANK to get the text value of Johns name and then append it to the text you want.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634210.aspx

I'm using Firstnoblank...to get John...do I just concatenate the measure to it with no lookup required? Another words firstnoblank(john) & 'measure'? I know that's not the exact formula..just getting the idea
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the Dax language won't accept it as even though you know you've constrained the circumstances it still needs to treat it as a list of information.  Using "FirstNonBlank" gets around this and stops on the first value it finds thats that not blank.  Its going to have the performance saving you are expecting when you say you don't want a lookup.

K...so now I can't get a summarize columns expression to work.  Any suggestions?

Summarize Test = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(Dispatch[MANAGER_NAME],Dispatch[MARKET],"Market",SUM(Dispatch[Dispatch Count]))

I'm basically trying to get a dispatch count grouped by Manager & Market.

This is the full DAX code I'm using to find the max disp count by manager/market

MAXX(SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(Dispatch[MARKET],Dispatch[MANAGER_NAME],"Test",Dispatch[Disp Count]),[Test])

any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi @codyraptor,

Could you post your table structures with some sample data and your expected result? So that we can better assist on the measures. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.