Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ozmike
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dates on a graph - continuous -adding a date dimension

Hi

I have graph with 'item create date' on the y - axis ,and count of the  items on the X - Looks ok except it never shows any 0 values - I guess because there are days that nothing was created. Ie count(Item ID) will be 1 or > 1 on any created date never 0 , a count value is only shown for dates that have data. So how do we show the gaps to be zero..

In MSaccess you would join to a table with every date in the calender..a bit cumbersome..

but is there  a setting to report gaps..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK solved 

- what are we trying to achieve..show a value on a graph of zero, for days that have no data or events.

How to achieve ..basically ..create a list of all calender dates for the period of data in question and the left join that to your data

Note, there is a power query M function to create a list of dates List.Dates ( date dimension)

Note, start DATE in this case 2015,12,7,  Determine your earliest date in your data.

This will create a list of dates with no future dates !

Step 1

in The query Editor create a blank query

and paste the below into the advanced editor.

let
    Source = #date(2015,12,7),
    #"Converted to Table" = #table(1, {{Source}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Date", each List.Dates(Source, Number.From(DateTime.LocalNow())- Number.From(Source) ,#duration(1,0,0,0))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Date"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Date", type date}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "Start Date"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

2) Query Editor create another query as  the left outer join (merge ) your "Date" list  column with a date in your data which has no data on some days.

3) Query editor create a custom column called 'Data Exists' with this formula, where ID is column can be null on some dates.

if [ID] is null then 0  else 1

4) change type to whole number. Must be a number or it dosen't work.

5) create a graph put "date" on the x-axis.

6)  the column 'Data Exists' should have a sigma sign on meaning it is a number. Drag on the value axis and it will sum these. 

Graph will now go to ZERO where there are gaps - SIMPLE ?

BEFORE

Capture.PNG

AFTER

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Yes one work around is to have a table with all dates in the calender  (cartesian join - no join - don't know if you can do it in PBI)  , so you can get these zero values in the data set.

But I thought by now (2017) -  date range woudl be easy  -   Interesting it streches/scales the y axis  where there is no date data (good)  but shows a 1 ( actually there is nothing there - i think excel and msaccess did the same). but as you say it just joins the dots...maybe a scatter plot is the work around..

hemantsingh
Helper V
Helper V

hi @ozmike,

Can you share some screenshot for better understanding of the issue.

Regards,

Hemant

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.