Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mshamsiev
Helper I
Helper I

DateKey relationship not functioning

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect a DateKey table to my main data dump which also includes dates (incident dates). 

I've connected the datekey from one table to the opened field in the other *manually*. However, in trying to create a standard line graph using the main table as the legend/values and the DateKey as the axis, I get a blank field instead.

Anyone able to shed light on this?

Thanks in advance 🙂

-Mike  

5 REPLIES 5
kaushikd
Resolver II
Resolver II

@mshamsiev

Hi 

Solution for the blank field is Put the column in which blank field is coming into the page level filter and uncheck the blank field.

It will solve your problem.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mshamsiev,

I think you can check the relationship if the "Cross filter direction" has setting to single. (Modify this option to "both" and return to the visual check the affect)

If above is not help, it will be help if you share some detail content.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried setting the cross filter to both but have had no luck. 

So below you can see my main data table has a list of jobs opened within the month of March. 

I've created a DateKey table (2nd pic) and manually connected 'Opened' to 'Date.' Is that the right approach?

Thanks!

POWERBI Help.jpg

Hi @mshamsiev,

>>I've created a DateKey table (2nd pic) and manually connected 'Opened' to 'Date.' Is that the right approach?

It seems odd, normally if you setting the cross filter direction to "both", it will be enable the cross filter of both two tables. (I'd like to suggest you to double check these tables if they contains the same rows, I can't find the same rows on your screenshots)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

What I've seen on other samples is they use a separate table with nothing but Dates to create the relationship between your other data tables. So the matching column in my case I thought would be "Date" from 2nd table and "Opened" from the first. Both contain a standard format date. No luck though. 

Hi @kaushikd,

I just blanked out that field as it contained user names 🙂 But it actually contains data.

Cheers for the replies guys. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.