Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Date table - Relationship

Hi all,

Can you please help me to figure out why my date relationship is not working?

I have the exact same format  as the one I have on my date table. Also I have created the relationship between the tables and it's active, the cross filter direction is set as "both" .

For some reason when I try to create the clustered column chart the dates are not being considered. 

I tried to add it in the axis and as a legend from my date table.

Does anyone know why this could possibly be happening?

Thank you,

Mariana 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

this can happen if the datatype of the columns that form the relationship is set to datetime, be aware that datatype does not mean format.

If you use the DAX function CALENDAR() to create the timeframe of your calendar the default datatype for the date column is datetime, this means there is always a time part in the value of the date column:

Date DataType vs Format.png

For this reason I always make sure that the data type of the date column is DATE (unless I need the timepart, but then I would almost create a separate time table).

Check if both columns have the datatype DATE. If not maybe you need to create an extra column of this datatype and rebuild your relationship on these columns and also use these columns in your visualizations and slicers.

Most of the time this already does the trick.

Hope this helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

this can happen if the datatype of the columns that form the relationship is set to datetime, be aware that datatype does not mean format.

If you use the DAX function CALENDAR() to create the timeframe of your calendar the default datatype for the date column is datetime, this means there is always a time part in the value of the date column:

Date DataType vs Format.png

For this reason I always make sure that the data type of the date column is DATE (unless I need the timepart, but then I would almost create a separate time table).

Check if both columns have the datatype DATE. If not maybe you need to create an extra column of this datatype and rebuild your relationship on these columns and also use these columns in your visualizations and slicers.

Most of the time this already does the trick.

Hope this helps

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Awesome! Thanks for your help!

This isn't working for me, as the calendar table I generated doesn't show up in my queries screen.  It only exists as a table in my project.

No Calendar Query to edit:
no calendar.PNG

Calendar Table Exists:

calendar.PNG

code to generate calendar:

code for calendar.PNG

Hey @fuqmicrosoft (I have to admit that I find your username somewhat offensive, even if I do not work for microsoft),

I guess you created your Calendar table using DAX, this means the table will be created after the data model will be created by "Refresh Data". This will explain why the Calendar table does not show up inside your queries screen.

If you need the Calendar table inside the queries screen, you have to create a Calendar table using M, maybe this article gets you started: https://exceleratorbi.com.au/build-reusable-calendar-table-power-query/

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Understand.

A DAX based table will never appear in the queries pane, as DAX based table will be addes to the data model after data refresh

Regards

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thank you @TomMartens, in the modeling table I was seeing it as "Date" type but when I clicked in "Edit Query" and checked in the "Transform" tab it was showing as "Date/Time" so then I changed it and it works now. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.