Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pmonteiro
Frequent Visitor

Date Slicer does not respect Date Format (Power BI desktop)

In Power BI Desktop, when in Report View, if I want to change the date format in a Table Visualization I just have to select the corresponding field and apply the desire format (in Modeling -> Format).

But if I try to do the same to the date format for a Slicer with a date field this does no work, the format is allways dd-MM-yyyy.

Is this a bug or for time slicers the format is controlled through another option?

[Version: 2.44.4675.521 64-bit]

6 REPLIES 6
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@pmonteiro

What is the type of your date slicer? The date format should be same as the one in table visual when it is List or Dropdown.

The format cannot be changed if the date slicer type is Between, Before or After.

Date Slicer does not respect Date Format (Power BI desktop)_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thank you @v-haibl-msft. I had not tested with a list or dropdown because for me this are not a match for my requirements.

In my case it's a between Slicer, but I also had observed the same behaviour with the other range slicers (before and after).

So, as far as you describe it this is an expected behaviour and not a bug? Do you have some idea of the rationale behind this design option?

Regards

Pedro

I think this is a bug. Different countries have different regional settings ant date formats. It should be possible to set/change/choose the format I need.

pmonteiro
Frequent Visitor

Context:

• In Power BI Desktop, in Report View;
  • With the operating system regional settings set to "Portuguese (Portugal)";
  • Select a date field and choose the format "dd/MM/yyyy"
  • Observe the field format in a table or a date picker slicer. 

The date field is formated as "dd-MM-yyyy" (using dash instead of slash).

If you start by choosing the "dd-MM-yyyy"  format, it is correctly applied (they aren't "swapped").

[Version: 2.44.4675.521 64-bit ]

@Anonymous, Yes,

I had not checked it before posting, but yes:  Power BI Desktop > File > Options and settings > Options > Current File > Regional Settings > Locale  is set to "Portuguese (Portugal)".

Anonymous
Not applicable

You've said your operating system is set to Portugal, is the report?

To check, click the 'file' icon (left of Home) then Options and Settings, then Options. Bottom section, Current File, has a Regional Settings option.

DaHa.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.