Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deepu299
Advocate V
Advocate V

Datasources are not shown in desktop

We have an enterprise gateway configured and datasources are successfully connected in the Power BI Service. When logged into desktop version with same credentials, datasources are not listed there. Is there any other configuration we are missing or the datasources should be listed in the desktop version?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @deepu299,

Once the  gateway and datasources are configured in the service, which will are used to refresh data. In desktop, you should click "Get Date"->Database->Oracle Database->Type the authentication, there is no data returned there? Could you please post a screenshot to display the issue?

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

Hi Angelia, 

I am able to get the data from desktop. My thought was that the gateway configured datasources will show up in the desktop as well when an user logs in. This was any user who like to import tables need to know database authentication credentials. Looks like this is not the case, and an user need to provide the authentication while importing new tables. 

Hi @deepu299,

The gateway configured datasources is in Power BI service and not in Power BI desktop. You can click file->Options and setting->Datasource settings as follows, You will see all the datasource you used.  When you import table, you input the authentication, you just click Recent Sources-> choose the datasouce on Home page when you want to import another table next time.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @deepu299,

What datesource do you use? You use on-premises or online datasource? In Power BI desktop, you can connect the datasource, but there no date list there? If there is any error message returned? 

Best Regards,
Angelia

@v-huizhn-msft Hi Angelia, I use Oracle database as datasource and it is enterprise on-premises. I thought once the  gateway and datasources are configured in the service, they would show up as a list in the desktop version too. There is no error message, I tried to look in the list of datasources and didn't find the ones listed in the service. Let me know if my understanding is not right and that is not the case for datasources. 

Thanks, 

Pradeep

Hi @deepu299,

Once the  gateway and datasources are configured in the service, which will are used to refresh data. In desktop, you should click "Get Date"->Database->Oracle Database->Type the authentication, there is no data returned there? Could you please post a screenshot to display the issue?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia, 

I am able to get the data from desktop. My thought was that the gateway configured datasources will show up in the desktop as well when an user logs in. This was any user who like to import tables need to know database authentication credentials. Looks like this is not the case, and an user need to provide the authentication while importing new tables. 

Hi @deepu299,

The gateway configured datasources is in Power BI service and not in Power BI desktop. You can click file->Options and setting->Datasource settings as follows, You will see all the datasource you used.  When you import table, you input the authentication, you just click Recent Sources-> choose the datasouce on Home page when you want to import another table next time.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.