Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CloudMonkey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Database structure advice

Hi,

I have a database with 3 tables:

Actuals (Volumes)

Actuals (Money)

Budget (Volumes)

Each of those tables has other tables linking into them (branch/region/area mappings, fiscal period mappings, product description mappings and public holiday mappings)

I'd like to create a single table with the acutals and budget (with mappings coming off it) to make the database later on (i.e. in one column I can define whether a row is actuals/budget and in another column I can define wither a row relates to volume or money)

I tried appending the 3 main tables together and keeping the orginal mappings but the approach failed, because table links require at least one table's values to be unique. (for example actual data has product codes but the budget does not, resulting in many NULL values in the product code field - then when I try to link the product descriptions table, there is a failure).

Please can you tell me how the best approach for structuring this database? Is it to merge the main tables rather than append them?

Thanks,

CM

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @CloudMonkey,

You need to have some master/dim tables like products, time cause your 3 tables are transaction tables, so you could choose new table and values() or distinct() function to achieve this.  And you could refer topic Budget Patterns of Marco Russo.

(Sales and Budget tables in topic are your transaction tables like Actuals, Budgets)

View solution in original post

Hi @CloudMonkey,

yes, it's same situation, there is no different

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @CloudMonkey,

Have you resolved your issue? If you have, please mark the helpful reply as answer, or share your solution, so that more people can find workaround form here. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks.
Angelia

tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @CloudMonkey,

You need to have some master/dim tables like products, time cause your 3 tables are transaction tables, so you could choose new table and values() or distinct() function to achieve this.  And you could refer topic Budget Patterns of Marco Russo.

(Sales and Budget tables in topic are your transaction tables like Actuals, Budgets)

Hi tringuyenminh92,

Thanks - the budget files aren't split by product - the budget files are just split by branch/fiscal period/GL account. Does that make a difference?

CM

Hi @CloudMonkey,

Just as @tringuyenminh92 posted, filter your resource table after some operation. You can use the transaction relationship between two tables, and construct them.

Best Regards,
angelia

Hi @CloudMonkey,

yes, it's same situation, there is no different

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors