Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shanebo3239
Helper I
Helper I

Data from On-Demand Hosted XLS File

I have an issue that I've been beating my head against the wall for weeks with.  I have a vendor that has a web-hosted report that I need the data from.  The report itself isn't useful, but they have an "Export to Excel" feature for it.  The XLS file generated when I click that link always has the same name, but the data updates constantly.  So, if you close Excel and open it back up a few minutes later, you'll see new data.  Please note this report system is not on my personal network, but the vendor's, so using UNC paths or anything of that sort is out.

The issue I'm having is getting this data into Power BI automatically.  I have a URI to this spreadsheet (though, again it doesnt "exist" until something requests it).  When I try to use "Web" as my data source in PBI Desktop, I get "DataFormat.Error: External table is not in the expected format."  I've tried OData and a number of other methods to pull the data from the spreadsheet, but nada.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

That might be your problem then.  XLS isn't very well supported.  Can you get your vendor to export in either XLSX or CSV?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this an XLS file or an XLSX file?

Just an xls
Anonymous
Not applicable

That might be your problem then.  XLS isn't very well supported.  Can you get your vendor to export in either XLSX or CSV?

I actually did find a way to modify the URL to get the application to spit out a CSV instead of XLS.  That is working much better.  Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.